From: Gary Scott <garylscott@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Interested about number crunching in Ada
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:24:31 -0500
Date: 2007-08-16T20:24:31-05:00	[thread overview]

anon wrote:

> Even though Ada does have a few packages that are interesting in
> numeric code.  The idea that any language such as Ada is better than
> FORTRAN will not go over very well. Except for college project or
> class assignments, that might give you something to do.  But in the
> real world, it will not fly. To fully understand this try looking at the
> history of SISAL (see below for definition).
>
> There are a number of other High Performance Computing (HPC)
> languages that were design back in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.  But
> most have since died off because the lack of funding and previous
> work done in FORTRAN and C. LISP has stay around but it role
> was altered to mostly non-HPC status.
>
> As for Ada:
>
> First, is the acceptance of Ada.  In the world of mathematic FORTRAN
> was design to and rules that universe.  Non-GNU FORTRAN compilers
> are optimized for mathematic while Ada is not. And until that changes
> most high performance numeric programmers will not accept Ada in that
> world. Outside of FORTRAN they use pure "C" and maybe Lisp.  They
> also say no to "c++" or any other languages.
>
> Second, most programmer do not want to spend the 100s to 1000s of
> hours to translate or convert the libraries that are written in FORTRAN
> to any other language including Ada. That is around 50+ years worth of
> library source code. And that does not include the time and expense of
> getting the copyright and or Software Patents rights to do the
> translation. Plus, translating any code from one language to another is
> simply boring for most programmers.
>
> Plus, it is a lot easier to write and understand code that is wriiten in
> the same language.  So, for libraries that are coded in FORTRAN means
> the project languages needs to be in FORTRAN. And that's the way HPC
> committees like it.
>
> Now, for High Performance Computing projects, well it hard to find open
> source projects that deal with mathematic.  In todays world, normally
> you must be hired and move up to the position in HPC. Jobs in the
> fields of Aerospace, Weather, Oceanic Research, and Medical are some
> of the primary fields. All of these require knowledge in other fields that
> are not commonly known to most programmers. Nornally, it people in
> these specialize fields that become programmers and they use what is
> commonly use for programming aka FORTRAN or C.
>
> Some of the not so commonly known job fields are Web Servers, and
> Neural Networks but these are not driving by higher performance
> mathematic, but by Database and File Accessing.
>
> But for the best information on High Performance Mathematic
> Computing, check with your local college or university computer
> department in a couple of weeks after the fall semester starts. Give
> a few days for the school to calm down into the semester routine
> before asking.
>
> With the newer computers having dual processors you would think that
> [...]
You forgot to mention that Fortran has not stood still.  It is a
moving/advancing target.  Yes it has baggage.  But it is evolving quite
well, within those constraints.

--

Gary Scott
mailto:garylscott@sbcglobal dot net

Fortran Library:  http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project:  http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project:  http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford