From: Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: An Old Market in which Ada May Play
Date: 20 Jun 2001 20:50:33 -0500
Date: 2001-06-20T20:50:33-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <3B2D5BA7.C7F6CCC3@linuxchip.demon.co.uk>, Dr Adrian Wrigley <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Jeffrey Carter wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be nice to have a browser that lets you tell it not to
>> contact sites from foreign domains? That lets you tell it to display
>> text before downloading graphics? That asks before opening extra
>> windows? That offers cookie, cache, and web-bug management? That's
>> robust and reliable? That doesn't do whatever you don't like about your
>> browser, and does do what you wish your browser did?
> Don't you just use WWWShield? http://www.bitrot.de/wwwshield.html

I would be frightened by the claim on that site:

	It is tested on SGI IRIX 6.5 and Linux 2.0.36, but
	should be easily portable to other platforms.

Let's see, it was tested on two operating systems and both of them were
of the Unix style.  What is wrong with this picture ?

It is not just that I distrust the portability claim, but I distrust
any source so naive as to make it.  Please make a fuss when the list
of operating systems covered include MacOS 68K, Be, VMS, OS/400 and
MVS.  Then I will believe the developers have sufficient breadth of
experience to make a claim about "easily portable".