From: Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP>
Subject: Re: Gnat Ada on OpenVMS is back
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 19:26:00 -0000 (UTC)
Date: 2017-03-02T19:26:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On 2017-03-02, gérard Calliet <gerard.calliet@pia-sofer.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The OpenVMS OS, after an announced death in 2013, is back with its
> primary engeniering team, organized as a start-up (www.vmssoftware.com).
>
> In this context, we did a new build on OpenVMS / Itanium of the Gnat Ada
> compiler. We needed it for an industrial project (a port from OenVMS
> Alpha to OpenVMS Itanium, an urban transportation control software). The
> project is about to be runned in production, with images compiled by our
> Gnat Ada compiler.

Congratulations Gerard.

I've tried to build GNAT for VMS Alpha from the FSF sources several
times but I never succeeded because various bits appear to be
incomplete or missing for the VMS Alpha target.

I never tried to build an IA64 compiler because I don't have an IA64
box but it's clearly more complete than the Alpha target is (or you
put more work into it than I was willing to do. :-))

What versions of the FSF GCC and binutils source kits did you use ?

How much trouble did you have building gcc against the DEC C headers ?

I have noticed that the DEC C headers required fewer changes in later
versions of FSF gcc in my various build attempts than the earlier
versions did.

Simon.