* GtkAda on Ubuntu 16.04
@ 2017-01-30 18:20 ahlan.marriott
From: ahlan.marriott @ 2017-01-30 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I currently use the GtkAda and Gtk (3.8.4) that was distributed by AdaCore as GPL 2015 under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty-Tahr.
When I tried to install this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS I could compile GtkAda but after I added /opt/gtkada/lib into /etc/ld.so.cong.ld/ada.conf Ubuntu would no longer boot.

Is there a compatibility issue here?
I tried GtkAda that was distributed with GPL2016 with the same effect.

I am a mere novice with Linux.
My goal is that our Ada programs work under OSX and Linux as they do under Windows.
Hence the use of Gtk for the Gui.
Up to now everything worked as expected under WinXp through Win10, OSX El Capitan and Sierra and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
I therefore naively expected them to also work under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Are there restrictions on what version of Gtk run under which flavour of Linux?
If so how do you find out what supports what.

Or is there something that I am doing wrong or have forgotten to do?

Advice gladly received,
best wishes,
Ahlan

* Re: GtkAda on Ubuntu 16.04
@ 2017-01-30 18:59 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2017-01-30 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/30/2017 07:20 PM, ahlan.marriott@gmail.com wrote:

> My goal is that our Ada programs work under OSX and Linux as they do under Windows.
> Hence the use of Gtk for the Gui.

Have you looked at Gnoga?

--
Jeff Carter
"My legs are gray, my ears are gnarled, my eyes are old and bent."

* Re: GtkAda on Ubuntu 16.04
@ 2017-01-30 19:59   ` ahlan.marriott
From: ahlan.marriott @ 2017-01-30 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 30 January 2017 19:59:13 UTC+1, Jeffrey R. Carter  wrote:
> On 01/30/2017 07:20 PM, ahlan.marriott@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > My goal is that our Ada programs work under OSX and Linux as they do under Windows.
> > Hence the use of Gtk for the Gui.
>
> Have you looked at Gnoga?
>
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "My legs are gray, my ears are gnarled, my eyes are old and bent."
> Monty Python's Life of Brian
> 81

Yes(I even attended J-P Roseb's tutorial on the subject at last year's Ada-Europe conference in Pisa but sadly I don't think it is suitable for my requirements.
I am happy with Gtjk, it seemed to do the job - up until by Ubuntu 16.04 test.
If Gtk support on Ubuntu is a problem I wonder  if QT5 would be an alternative?
Any thoughts?
MfG
Ahlan

* Re: GtkAda on Ubuntu 16.04
@ 2017-01-30 20:48 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2017-01-30 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-01-30 19:20, ahlan.marriott@gmail.com wrote:
> I currently use the GtkAda and Gtk (3.8.4) that was distributed by
> AdaCore as GPL 2015 under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty-Tahr.
> When I tried to install this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS I could compile
> GtkAda but after I added /opt/gtkada/lib into
> /etc/ld.so.cong.ld/ada.conf Ubuntu would no longer boot.
              ^^^^ What is this?

> Is there a compatibility issue here?

If you killed the Gtk installation used by GNOME, then yes.

You should still be able to boot without graphics unless you killed all
dynamic libraries...

> I tried GtkAda that was distributed with GPL2016 with the same effect.

I have packaged 3.14.2 from GPL 2016. It is here:

    http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/gtkada.htm

Ubuntu ~ Debian. It should work under Ubuntu.

> Or is there something that I am doing wrong or have forgotten to do?

GtkAda generates a makefile to install the stuff correctly. Why do you
copy files manually?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: GtkAda on Ubuntu 16.04
@ 2017-01-31 18:28   ` ahlan.marriott
From: ahlan.marriott @ 2017-01-31 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 30 January 2017 21:48:42 UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov  wrote:
> On 2017-01-30 19:20, ahlan.marriott@gmail.com wrote:
> > I currently use the GtkAda and Gtk (3.8.4) that was distributed by
> > AdaCore as GPL 2015 under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty-Tahr.
> > When I tried to install this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS I could compile
> > GtkAda but after I added /opt/gtkada/lib into
> > /etc/ld.so.cong.ld/ada.conf Ubuntu would no longer boot.
>               ^^^^ What is this?
>
> > Is there a compatibility issue here?
>
> If you killed the Gtk installation used by GNOME, then yes.
>
> You should still be able to boot without graphics unless you killed all
> dynamic libraries...
>
> > I tried GtkAda that was distributed with GPL2016 with the same effect.
>
> I have packaged 3.14.2 from GPL 2016. It is here:
>
>     http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/gtkada.htm
>
> Ubuntu ~ Debian. It should work under Ubuntu.
>
> > Or is there something that I am doing wrong or have forgotten to do?
>
> GtkAda generates a makefile to install the stuff correctly. Why do you
> copy files manually?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Dear Dmitry,

Your writing "What is this?" is the clue I was looking for.
It seems that my adding the file into /etc/ld.so.conf.ld is not neccesary.
Without it I can still build my Gtk programs and execute them as well as others that I built previously.
So I wonder what I was trying to do, why I thought it was necessary and where I got the idea from.
The folder /opt/gtkada/ is where I installed Gtkada
and in lib there are lots of .so files.

As I know absolutely nothing about Linux I doubt very much that I got the idea of adding a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.ld all on my own and it did no harm in Ubuntu 14.04

However the immediate solution to my problem is probably simply not to add the file into /etc/ld.so.conf.ld

I'll try it out and let you know.
Many thanks,
MfG
Ahlan