From: "Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Questions about Ada Core Technologies
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:56:47 -0400
Date: 2004-04-14T09:56:47-04:00	[thread overview]

Peter Hermann wrote:

> I report a sad reaction from ACT:
> I wanted to pay for a gnat3.15-compiler on my pet machine DECalpha
> where I am frozen at gnat3.12p
> without any need of support
> but ACT rejected the deal.
> Maybe DECalphaTrue64 is particularly difficult for the GNAT-compiler?

No, they probably don't want to get drawn in to supporting older
versions of the compiler.  If they fixed a bug in 3.15 for you, would
they also fix it in 3.15p?

However, if you really want a 3.15p compiler on you DEC Alpha, get the
3.13p, 3.14p, and 3.15p sources and build it.  It may not be necessary
to go through the intermediate compiler versions, but I think the time
you would save would not be worth it.  You also may want to run the
ACATS test suite against each version to look for regressions.

The whole process might take a week, but if you set up a different
account for it, your involvement could be just a few hours worth.  For
each iteration, you are going to be compiling the compiler and test
suite twice.  Having a script set up to do that should allow you to do
one iteration a day, with your involvement being checking on progress,
and seeing if there are any regressions to worry about.  (You could also
have to worry about different GCC versions.  Same procedure, different
compilers.)

--

                                           Robert I. Eachus

"The terrorist enemy holds no territory, defends no population, is
unconstrained by rules of warfare, and respects no law of morality. Such
an enemy cannot be deterred, contained, appeased or negotiated with. It
can only be destroyed--and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the business
at hand."  -- Dick Cheney