* Is Pascal really the father of Ada?
@ 2016-11-22 14:40 Mr. Man-wai Chang
From: Mr. Man-wai Chang @ 2016-11-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

A few sentences of explanation would be enough, before I go Google
Search. ;)

* Re: Is Pascal really the father of Ada?
@ 2016-11-22 15:29 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2016-11-22 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 22:40:56 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
<toylet.toylet@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>A few sentences of explanation would be enough, before I go Google
>Search. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(programming_language)

(seems my client doesn't consider () to be part of a URL, don't know how
that comes through)

	Short answer -- the final teams in the language design all chose to
start with Pascal as being the cleanest/closest to the DoD requirements --
then cleaned up the problematic syntax (dangling else, semi-colon as
separator rather than terminator, etc.) before plugging in the new features
needed to meet the DoD.

* Re: Is Pascal really the father of Ada?
@ 2016-11-22 16:06 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2016-11-22 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal is the most visible uncle of Ada :).

C is another one (e.g. the "return" statement, "declare" and the bits & bytes...), but - pssst, don't tell it too loudly!

_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://www.openhub.net/accounts/gautier_bd

* Re: Is Pascal really the father of Ada?
@ 2016-11-22 16:13 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2016-11-22 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

No, that was Jean Ichbiah.

--
Jeff Carter
Just as Khan was hindered by two-dimensional thinking in a

* Re: Is Pascal really the father of Ada?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-11-22 21:21 ` Adam Jensen
From: Adam Jensen @ 2016-11-22 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/22/2016 09:40 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

> A few sentences of explanation would be enough, before I go Google
> Search. ;)

[Ada - Past, Present, and Future](https://youtu.be/0yXwnk8Cr0c)

[OVERVIEW OF THE ADA LANGUAGE
COMPETITION](http://www.iment.com/maida/computer/redref/)