From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Is Python higher level than Ada?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 10:12:29 +0100
Date: 2016-11-16T10:12:29+01:00	[thread overview]

On 16/11/2016 01:36, Victor Porton wrote:
> Is the following statement correct?
>
> "Python is a higher level programming language than Ada."
>
> The purpose of my question is not to start a holy war, but to get better
> understanding of what "higher level programming language" phrase may mean.
>
> I have good knowledge of both Python and Ada.
>
> My question is not about particular features, but about which features are
> considered in definition of "higher level".

Yes, you start with a definition of.

"high" refers to the distance from the computational substrate and the
"direction". Which itself is ambiguous as it may refer machine code,
Turing machine ... or human way of thinking about computation where tons
of paradigms come in (procedural, OO, functional, domain-specific x
number of domains). "Direction" should mean reduced size/complexity.

> One feature I may think of, is that Python may be more easily integrated
> with databases by using dynamic fields or attributes. Does this feature
> contribute to what deserves to be called "higher level"?
>
> Also Python 3 has metaclasses but Ada doesn't. Is it essential for
> definition of a very high level programming language?

See above. For OO paradigm it might be important, assuming Python
implements them correctly, which I honestly doubt.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov