From: Adam Jensen <hanzer@riseup.net>
Subject: Re: Getting started with bare-board development
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 12:32:55 -0500
Date: 2016-11-15T12:32:55-05:00	[thread overview]

On 11/15/2016 03:38 AM, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> Typical developing process stages, at least in my area, is like this
>
> 1. Workstation    Simulation time
>    Application
>    [HAL]
>    Mock actuators/sensors
>
> 2. Workstation    Hardware-in-the-loop, real-time
>    Application
>    [HAL]
>    Real/Mock actuators/sensors
>
> 3. Embedded       Target platform
>    Application
>    [HAL]
>    Real/Mock actuators/sensors
>
> Most of developing is done in #1 or #2. Most of testing in #2. #3 is
> limited to final integration tests.

I think I am beginning to understand this perspective. (Thanks for your
patience).

> QEMU et al is not used, because it makes no sense to emulate
> computational hardware when you have Ada, unless you are an OS
> developer. So long the application is really an application you don't
> need that sort of emulators.

"unless you are an OS developer" might be a key issue here. I have been
thinking very much about device driver and run time kernel development
for custom hardware. Ideally, what I am looking for (or trying to sort
out) is a development methodology and tool-chain that fits into and
extends the hardware development process.

It still seems to me that the ability to compartmentalize the
emulated/simulated/HIL environment from the workstation's environment
would be helpful, if not essential, at various stages of development and
verification.

Does this make sense or is my view still somewhat askew?

> Whatever OS/platform-dependent parts requiring test under an emulator,
> they are quite minuscule or non-existent if an OS is used. Which is also
> the reason why bare-board targets should be avoided where possible.

I can appreciate how it might be desirable for the workstation and the
embedded target to provide the same OS/RTS environmental abstractions
(for a software application developer's convenience), but the class of
embedded software that I have in mind probably needs to have deep
integration with the hardware, and the hardware definitely will have
very deep traction with reality.