* Trying to send e-mail
@ 2016-11-13 22:40 John Smith
From: John Smith @ 2016-11-13 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

This is the app that I'm developing (well, a part of it.)
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a90387507842aded420402d4fce33076

After I compile it and then run it, this is the exception that I see:
raised AWS.SMTP.SERVER_ERROR : raised AWS.NET.SOCKET_ERROR : [111] Connection refused to localhost 127.0.0.1:25

What does AWS need in order to send out an e-mail?  I'm on a Manjaro Linux machine.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Trying to send e-mail
@ 2016-11-13 22:52 ` Chris Moore
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Moore @ 2016-11-13 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/11/2016 22:40, John Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is the app that I'm developing (well, a part of it.)
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a90387507842aded420402d4fce33076
>
> After I compile it and then run it, this is the exception that I see:
> raised AWS.SMTP.SERVER_ERROR : raised AWS.NET.SOCKET_ERROR : [111] Connection refused to localhost 127.0.0.1:25
>
> What does AWS need in order to send out an e-mail?  I'm on a Manjaro Linux machine.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Initialise takes a port number which defaults to 25.  You need to be
root to open ports less than 1024.  So either supply a port number >
1024 in Initialise or become root.

* Re: Trying to send e-mail
@ 2016-11-14  0:04 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2016-11-14  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 14:40:55 -0800 (PST), John Smith
<yoursurrogategod@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>Hello,
>
>This is the app that I'm developing (well, a part of it.)
>https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a90387507842aded420402d4fce33076
>
>After I compile it and then run it, this is the exception that I see:
>raised AWS.SMTP.SERVER_ERROR : raised AWS.NET.SOCKET_ERROR : [111] Connection refused to localhost 127.0.0.1:25
>
>What does AWS need in order to send out an e-mail?  I'm on a Manjaro Linux machine.

	I've not studied AWS so may be all wet here...

	Are you /running/ as the SMTP server? That, as mentioned elsewhere, may
need root level privileges to create a listener on port 25.

	But the other half of your question speaks of /sending/ an email...
That should, to my mind, only require /an/ SMTP server to be running on the
machine, which you, as a client, connect and transfer the email. The server
then handles delivery of the message.

	If you already have an SMTP server running, even root shouldn't let you
create a new server on the port.

* Re: Trying to send e-mail
@ 2016-11-14  8:25 ` Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2016-11-14  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Smith <yoursurrogategod@gmail.com> writes:
> Connection refused to localhost 127.0.0.1:25
> What does AWS need in order to send out an e-mail?  I'm on a Manjaro
> Linux machine.

You have to configure that address to an actual SMTP server instead of
localhost.  Amazon has several email services available.  The "simple"
one is

  https://aws.amazon.com/ses/

You want the SMTP interface:

  http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/send-email-smtp.html

* Re: Trying to send e-mail
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-11-14  8:51 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-11-14  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/11/2016 23:40, John Smith wrote:

> This is the app that I'm developing (well, a part of it.)
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a90387507842aded420402d4fce33076
>
> After I compile it and then run it, this is the exception that I see:
> raised AWS.SMTP.SERVER_ERROR : raised AWS.NET.SOCKET_ERROR : [111] Connection refused to localhost 127.0.0.1:25

Most likely you have no SMTP server running or else it does not
listening to 127.0.0.1:25. Why do you send to local address?

Did you check your server using some mail client, like Thunderbird?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov