From: "J-P. Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr>
Subject: Re: [Ann] AdaControl 1.18r8 released
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 13:44:51 +0100
Date: 2016-11-05T13:44:51+01:00	[thread overview]

Le 05/11/2016 à 11:28, artium@nihamkin.com a écrit :
> Sometimes a developer decides to try these tools on an already existing codebase. This will lead to thouthands of violations.
>
> Fixing them is not acceptable in a field tested code.
>
> The developer would like to know only about the violations in the newly added code.
>
> Allowing this requires integration with source control tools and the ability to parse the analysis tool's log in a smart way (for example adding a line of code in the beginning of the file, will cause all the lines of the violations to increase by one)
>

> It is interesting to hear your thoughts about this, and if you are aware of any solutions used by AdaControl users.

A semantic tool, especially one using ASIS like AdaControl, can work
only on compilable compilation units. OTOH, you can apply AdaControl to
selected units, not necessarily a whole project.

My opinion is that if you modify a unit, then it's a good opportunity to
fix any violation to coding rules. So my recommandation would be to
include AdaControl in the process of entering a modified unit into the SCM.
--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog