* Halting a CPU
@ 2001-07-23 13:39 Phil Foran
From: Phil Foran @ 2001-07-23 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi all,

In the code im doing, on certain conditions i need to halt my CPU completely
(Pentium 2) and im wondering if a function that does this already exists in
ADA... or is there one in C/C++ that i can call... or do i have to go right
down to assembler to find it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Phil

* Re: Halting a CPU
@ 2001-07-24 10:55 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2001-07-24 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I you really mean you want to issue the halt command then you need assembler
(or call an existing Ada or C wrapper that calls the assembler code).
However, I suspect
(WARNING STRONG SPECULATION FOLLOWS NOT BASED ON ANYTHING BUT
HUNCH)
that if you are on a normal OS that the halt instruction may be privileged
and not
allowed by normal userspace processes (i.e. I am speculating that this will
not be
allowed on Linux or Win NT).. If you are on a bare machine or small
real-time kernel
then this might work.