From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Using generic package to store and retrieve string data
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:11:03 -0700
Date: 2016-10-07T16:11:03-07:00	[thread overview]

On 10/07/2016 02:30 PM, James Brewer wrote:
> Hey guys, I am trying to create a generic package that will take strings of a
> fixed length store them in an array one at a time and later remove them one
> at a time. I was using a generic stack example I found on the net to get
> started but I can't seem to get it to work for string data.
>
> Is there something that needs to be imported into the main program for string
> handling?

If your Strings are all the same length, then you need to instantiate the
generic with a subtype of that length:

subtype Stored_String is String (1 .. Length);

package Stored_String_Stack is new Generic_Stack
    (Size => Max_Stack_Size, Item => Stored_String);

If your Strings may have differing lengths, then you should either use
Unbounded_String or one of the indefinite containers.

> Also, this is just a starting point for getting a generic to function with
> string data, ideally this will be converted into a queue.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the standard container library in Annex
A.18. One of them will probably do what you want.

http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/rm12_w_tc1/html/RM-A-18.html

--
Jeff Carter
"It's symbolic of his struggle against reality."