* Error popping up after "unrelated" generic instantiation
@ 2016-09-03 13:54 Alejandro R. Mosteo
From: Alejandro R. Mosteo @ 2016-09-03 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a convoluted code in which adding an instantiation without using
it anywhere breaks the build with the uninspired error message
"incorrect use of <subprogram>". It smells fishy to me and would be glad
for your opinions. If you want to try, please check out this commit and
see what happens in your setup. I'm using GPL2016 on Ubuntu 16.04.

$ hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/amosteo/rxada -u fec9d9df95b9
$ cd rxada
$ gprbuild rx-examples-minimal

This builds (and runs) correctly. However, uncommenting line 23 in
src/main/rx-examples.ads results in the aforementioned error:

rx-examples-minimal.adb:22:06: incorrect use of "Subscribe"
(and more similar instances in the same file).

Cheers,
Alex.

* Re: Error popping up after "unrelated" generic instantiation
@ 2016-09-04 15:33 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2016-09-04 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:54:17 AM UTC-5, Alejandro R. Mosteo wrote:

> $ hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/amosteo/rxada -u fec9d9df95b9

This gives me a permission error; what is the anonymous download?

-- Stephe

* Re: Error popping up after "unrelated" generic instantiation
@ 2016-09-04 17:08   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-09-04 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:54:17 AM UTC-5, Alejandro R. Mosteo wrote:
>
>> $ hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/amosteo/rxada -u fec9d9df95b9
>
> This gives me a permission error; what is the anonymous download?

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/amosteo/rxada

* Re: Error popping up after "unrelated" generic instantiation
@ 2016-09-05  9:29     ` Alejandro R. Mosteo
From: Alejandro R. Mosteo @ 2016-09-05  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/09/16 19:08, Simon Wright wrote:
> Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:
>
>> On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:54:17 AM UTC-5, Alejandro R. Mosteo wrote:
>>
>>> $ hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/amosteo/rxada -u fec9d9df95b9
>>
>> This gives me a permission error; what is the anonymous download?
>
> hg clone https://bitbucket.org/amosteo/rxada

Yep, sorry :(

* Re: Error popping up after "unrelated" generic instantiation
@ 2016-09-05 16:58 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2016-09-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:54:17 AM UTC-5, Alejandro R. Mosteo wrote:
> This builds (and runs) correctly. However, uncommenting line 23 in
> src/main/rx-examples.ads results in the aforementioned error:
>
> rx-examples-minimal.adb:22:06: incorrect use of "Subscribe"
> (and more similar instances in the same file).

I can reproduce this with GNAT GPL 2016 on Windows 8.1.

There are declarations of "Subscribe" as procedure and package in the code; apparently the compiler is confusing one of those. But it shouldn't; this looks like a compiler bug.

* Re: Error popping up after "unrelated" generic instantiation
@ 2016-09-06  9:22   ` Alejandro R. Mosteo
From: Alejandro R. Mosteo @ 2016-09-06  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/09/16 18:58, Stephen Leake wrote:
> On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 8:54:17 AM UTC-5, Alejandro R. Mosteo wrote:
>> This builds (and runs) correctly. However, uncommenting line 23 in
>> src/main/rx-examples.ads results in the aforementioned error:
>>
>> rx-examples-minimal.adb:22:06: incorrect use of "Subscribe"
>> (and more similar instances in the same file).
>
> I can reproduce this with GNAT GPL 2016 on Windows 8.1.
>
> There are declarations of "Subscribe" as procedure and package in the code; apparently the compiler is confusing one of those. But it shouldn't; this looks like a compiler bug.

Thank you for the confirmation.
Álex.