* Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-16 16:38 Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-16 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone.

I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering

1. if it would be considered blasphemis by the existing website of authority
such as adapower (I dont want to compete, I want Ada to have more presence
:-).
2. Encouraged as a new effort to promote Ada in yet one more place :-).

I have my ideas on the contents of the website itself, however It looks like
there would be a bit of redundance again as per adapower since they already
have a complete list of Ada Stuff :-).  So if you guys could, give me a few
suggestions as to what the site could have without any (or minimal)
conflicts of contents with the already popular website....sso that users
have a possibly different reasont o visit my website.  as well as the
existing ones :-)

--
St�phane Richard
Senior Software and Technology Supervisor

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-16 16:45 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-08-16 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering
>
> 1. if it would be considered blasphemis by the existing website of authority
> such as adapower (I dont want to compete, I want Ada to have more presence
>:-).

Don't see why it should.

> 2. Encouraged as a new effort to promote Ada in yet one more place :-).

Yes!

--
�I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet.
 So who am I to judge.�

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-16 17:00 ` Matthew Heaney
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Heaney @ 2003-08-16 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering
>

> I have my ideas on the contents of the website itself, however It looks
like
> there would be a bit of redundance again as per adapower since they
already
> have a complete list of Ada Stuff :-).  So if you guys could, give me a
few
> suggestions as to what the site could have without any (or minimal)
> conflicts of contents with the already popular website....sso that users
> have a possibly different reasont o visit my website.  as well as the
> existing ones :-)

Well, I'm always trying to promote Charles as a reusable container library.
Perhaps you'd like to have a link on your website to the webpage for
Charles:

URL:http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/charles/

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-16 17:04   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-16 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Definitaly,

I downloaded it from one of your other posts, excellent job.  I already see
a few places (projects) where I see myself using your container library :-)

--
"Matthew Heaney" <matthewjheaney@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >
> > I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering
> >

> > I have my ideas on the contents of the website itself, however It looks
> like
> > there would be a bit of redundance again as per adapower since they
> already
> > have a complete list of Ada Stuff :-).  So if you guys could, give me a
> few
> > suggestions as to what the site could have without any (or minimal)
> > conflicts of contents with the already popular website....sso that users
> > have a possibly different reasont o visit my website.  as well as the
> > existing ones :-)
>
> Well, I'm always trying to promote Charles as a reusable container
library.
> Perhaps you'd like to have a link on your website to the webpage for
> Charles:
>
> URL:http://home.earthlink.net/~matthewjheaney/charles/

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-16 18:16 ` David Holm
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: David Holm @ 2003-08-16 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hiya,
We really need a site which is visually appealing. None of the current sites are good looking,
adapower being one of the worst.
And I think adapower is sorta dead because I have mailed them two times and used their
submission forms two times to get them to link to my OpenGL binding but I have never received a
reply and they aren't linking to me yet.

//David Holm

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:38:40 GMT
"Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering
>
> 1. if it would be considered blasphemis by the existing website of authority
> such as adapower (I dont want to compete, I want Ada to have more presence
> :-).
> 2. Encouraged as a new effort to promote Ada in yet one more place :-).
>
> I have my ideas on the contents of the website itself, however It looks like
> there would be a bit of redundance again as per adapower since they already
> have a complete list of Ada Stuff :-).  So if you guys could, give me a few
> suggestions as to what the site could have without any (or minimal)
> conflicts of contents with the already popular website....sso that users
> have a possibly different reasont o visit my website.  as well as the
> existing ones :-)
>
> --
> Stéphane Richard
> Senior Software and Technology Supervisor
> http://www.totalweb-inc.com
> For all your hosting and related needs

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 187 bytes --]

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-16 18:50 ` Jeffrey Creem
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2003-08-16 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message
> have a complete list of Ada Stuff :-).  So if you guys could, give me a
few
> suggestions as to what the site could have without any (or minimal)
> conflicts of contents with the already popular website....sso that users
> have a possibly different reasont o visit my website.  as well as the
> existing ones :-)

Something that would be nice would be the ability to have outsiders post
package abstracts and links semi-automatically. Something like
a freshmeat.net directory for Ada only would be useful.

Make sure not to link (at least via a real link) to www .   ada home  . com

Since google includes in its site weight scores how many people link to a
site.

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-16 19:38   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-16 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Will do, I've heard about Adahome not being updated dead links and the
likes...sorta my inspiration for my new site :-)

--
"Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message

> "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > have a complete list of Ada Stuff :-).  So if you guys could, give me a
> few
> > suggestions as to what the site could have without any (or minimal)
> > conflicts of contents with the already popular website....sso that users
> > have a possibly different reasont o visit my website.  as well as the
> > existing ones :-)
> >

> Something that would be nice would be the ability to have outsiders post
> package abstracts and links semi-automatically. Something like
> a freshmeat.net directory for Ada only would be useful.
>

> Make sure not to link (at least via a real link) to www .   ada home  .
com

> Since google includes in its site weight scores how many people link to a
> site.

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17  0:14   ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-08-17  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Holm wrote:
> Hiya,
> We really need a site which is visually appealing. None of the current sites are good looking,
> adapower being one of the worst.

I kinda like the yellow on green style but what do I know
(www.cyberdanx.co.uk) ;)

> And I think adapower is sorta dead because I have mailed them two times and used their
> submission forms two times to get them to link to my OpenGL binding but I have never received a
> reply and they aren't linking to me yet.

David Botton did say he was very busy on the gnavi list recently when
someone asked about the activity of the list.

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-17  0:32 ` chris
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: chris @ 2003-08-17  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering
>
> 1. if it would be considered blasphemis by the existing website of authority
> such as adapower (I dont want to compete, I want Ada to have more presence
> :-).
> 2. Encouraged as a new effort to promote Ada in yet one more place :-).

What I really dislike about Ada is no good library support.  There are
plenty of libs, but collections of them always seem disorganised or a
bit dead.  Jeff Creams' idea of having a posting area for libs is a good
one.  People can post updates on their work, and hopefully the
organisation will be a bit better and more current than other places
(Adapower does a good job, I wasn't talking about that site).

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17  9:51   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-17  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

So in essence, you'd like somewhat of a global place (categorized) where
users can go see what library exists, and see what work is being done on
them?  would it be a good idea to have that library's code right on the
website too, or would it be better to have a link to where they can get that
code?

--
"chris" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Stephane Richard wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> > I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering
> >
> > 1. if it would be considered blasphemis by the existing website of
authority
> > such as adapower (I dont want to compete, I want Ada to have more
presence
> > :-).
> > 2. Encouraged as a new effort to promote Ada in yet one more place :-).
>

> What I really dislike about Ada is no good library support.  There are
> plenty of libs, but collections of them always seem disorganised or a
> bit dead.  Jeff Creams' idea of having a posting area for libs is a good
> one.  People can post updates on their work, and hopefully the
> organisation will be a bit better and more current than other places
> (Adapower does a good job, I wasn't talking about that site).

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-17 10:47 ` Dmitriy Anisimkov
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitriy Anisimkov @ 2003-08-17 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard wrote:

> I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.

It would be good to have it "Powered by Ada Web Server"
like http://www.ada-ru.org/ (Ada web site in russian language.)

If you have a technical ability, I could provide a simple Ada source code, used for the
http://www.ada-ru.org/ .

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17 11:26   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-17 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to have a look at that code Dmitriy, indeed it would be a good
boost to Ada I think, to have a website powered by it.

--
"Dmitriy Anisimkov" <anisimkov@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Stephane Richard wrote:
>
> > I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.
>
> It would be good to have it "Powered by Ada Web Server"
> like http://www.ada-ru.org/ (Ada web site in russian language.)
>
> If you have a technical ability, I could provide a simple Ada source code,
used for the
> http://www.ada-ru.org/ .

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17 11:43     ` David Holm
From: David Holm @ 2003-08-17 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to see a general Ada page that carries nicely organized information and which
doesn't look like it was designed in the early nineties. Perhaps something like
http://www.devx.com/ without all the ads and microsoftisms. Adapower's look is simply outdated
and makes people new to Ada think that we are dealing with a dead language. You can do wonders
with some stylesheets these days even without having any artistic talent whatsoever (believe me,
I know ;).

Having a system which allows users to submit stories, links etc would be great too (of course
they should be moderated before placed on the webpage). That way you can have a set of
moderaters you trust check the webpage regulary and approve any new stuff. That way you minimize
the possibility of the site dying when you lose the interest/time to work on it (like adahome
or adapower).
I don't know of your past website development experience but these things are fairly simple to
do with a database and some php. Bonafide OS Development (http://www.osdever.net/) has a similar
system for it's links.

Mirroring files is probably a bad idea. You would have to spend a lot of time making sure all of
them are up to date. The only time that would be good is if a project has died and the webpage
has been taken down. Instead you should provide links or maybe adopt a system like what
http://www.freshmeat.net/ uses as Jeffrey Creem already suggested.
You can probably find a ready made system for this written in php and sql, I wouldn't at all be
surprised if freshmeat.net is open source and afaik sourceforge.net has released their sources
as well.

If you need any help from someone with some php/sql experience feel free to mail me. It's been a
while but it's like riding a bicycle ;).

//David Holm

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:51:48 GMT

@ 2003-08-17 11:52       ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-17 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to email you, but the email came back to me....I used the email that
use here david@realityrift.com  butI had an attachment to it, a
screenshot....does this email allow for attachments?  Maybe that was the
problem ;-).

--
St�phane Richard
Senior Software and Technology Supervisor
http://www.totalweb-inc.com
For all your hosting and related needs
"David Holm" <david@realityrift.com> wrote in message

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17 11:59         ` David Holm
From: David Holm @ 2003-08-17 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just switched e-mails, are you sure you weren't using dholm@gentoo.org? That one has been down
since the poweroutages in the US. The realityrift.com e-mail should allow attachments. You could
also use dholm@telia.com which is the address that all the other forwards to anyway =).

//David Holm

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:52:00 GMT
"Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote:

> I tried to email you, but the email came back to me....I used the email that
> use here david@realityrift.com  butI had an attachment to it, a
> screenshot....does this email allow for attachments?  Maybe that was the
> problem ;-).
>
> --
> Stéphane Richard
> Senior Software and Technology Supervisor
> http://www.totalweb-inc.com
> For all your hosting and related needs
> "David Holm" <david@realityrift.com> wrote in message

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 187 bytes --]

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-17 18:57 ` David Botton
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Botton @ 2003-08-17 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane Richard; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

One consideration may be to take over part of AdaPower instead of
creating a new site.... Lately I've been unable to even put 5 minutes in
to anything Ada (not by choice). I could certainly use the help right
now (and most have been very supportive at least in understanding my
down times). Contact me for spec. details (any one) if you would like to
be part of that.

As is well known, I always think it is a good idea to add Ada websites,
a new angle though would be more productive then another link site, for
example AdaPower's main idea was to be a place for practical How To's
and Labs, it became the main link site do to lack of any other and
AdaHome's refusal to allow me or anyone else to get involved. For
example, creating a SlashDot for Ada, an Ada site on How to program
Games or any other spec. area of programming using Ada.

Regardless, even though I don't see the point, I support ANY Ada web
additions and _even_ if it competes with my site (AdaPower)

David Botton

Stephane Richard wrote:

>Hello everyone.
>
>I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering
>
>1. if it would be considered blasphemis by the existing website of authority
>such as adapower (I dont want to compete, I want Ada to have more presence
>:-).
>2. Encouraged as a new effort to promote Ada in yet one more place :-).
>
>I have my ideas on the contents of the website itself, however It looks like
>there would be a bit of redundance again as per adapower since they already
>have a complete list of Ada Stuff :-).  So if you guys could, give me a few
>suggestions as to what the site could have without any (or minimal)
>conflicts of contents with the already popular website....sso that users
>have a possibly different reasont o visit my website.  as well as the
>existing ones :-)

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-17 19:10 ` ISH
From: ISH @ 2003-08-17 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't seen an Ada-specific Wiki, so that might be an idea.

--
ISH                  http://www.sharpe-practice.co.uk/isharpe/

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17 19:31   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-17 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

ok Ive seen the twrm wiki before...but exactly what is it?

--

@ 2003-08-17 19:42     ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-08-17 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard wrote:
> ok Ive seen the twrm wiki before...but exactly what is it?

AIUI, it's a collection of web pages anyone can edit.  For example if
you want to add a customisation to the emacs wiki, you can do it
yourself rather than ask a maintainer to do it.

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17 19:43       ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-17 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guess I just never went long enough into any wiki to know I could edit them
:-)....but yeah I've seen that yes...and it's a good idea....

--

@ 2003-08-17 19:51   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-17 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"even though I don't see the point,"  Define Point? :-)

--
"David Botton" <david@botton.com> wrote in message
> One consideration may be to take over part of AdaPower instead of
> creating a new site.... Lately I've been unable to even put 5 minutes in
> to anything Ada (not by choice). I could certainly use the help right
> now (and most have been very supportive at least in understanding my
> down times). Contact me for spec. details (any one) if you would like to
> be part of that.
>
> As is well known, I always think it is a good idea to add Ada websites,
> a new angle though would be more productive then another link site, for
> example AdaPower's main idea was to be a place for practical How To's
> and Labs, it became the main link site do to lack of any other and
> AdaHome's refusal to allow me or anyone else to get involved. For
> example, creating a SlashDot for Ada, an Ada site on How to program
> Games or any other spec. area of programming using Ada.
>
> Regardless, even though I don't see the point, I support ANY Ada web
> additions and _even_ if it competes with my site (AdaPower)
>
> David Botton
>

> Stephane Richard wrote:
>
> >Hello everyone.
> >
> >I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering
> >
> >1. if it would be considered blasphemis by the existing website of
authority
> >such as adapower (I dont want to compete, I want Ada to have more
presence
> >:-).
> >2. Encouraged as a new effort to promote Ada in yet one more place :-).
> >
> >I have my ideas on the contents of the website itself, however It looks
like
> >there would be a bit of redundance again as per adapower since they
already
> >have a complete list of Ada Stuff :-).  So if you guys could, give me a
few
> >suggestions as to what the site could have without any (or minimal)
> >conflicts of contents with the already popular website....sso that users
> >have a possibly different reasont o visit my website.  as well as the
> >existing ones :-)

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17 19:52     ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2003-08-17 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote:

> "even though I don't see the point,"  Define Point? :-)

Could you please just quote smarter?

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

und geraucht hat er auch...

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17 20:01       ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-17 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why smarter?  it's the only part of the message I wanted detauls on.  adn
below was the whole email..

--
"Adrian Knoth" <adi@thur.de> wrote in message
> Stephane Richard <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > "even though I don't see the point,"  Define Point? :-)
>
> Could you please just quote smarter?
>

> --
> mail: adi@thur.de  http://adi.thur.de PGP: v2-key via keyserver
>
> und geraucht hat er auch...

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17 20:08         ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2003-08-17 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote:

> Why smarter?  it's the only part of the message I wanted detauls on.  adn
> below was the whole email..

First a usenet-posting is not a email. Second, am I interested to read
the answer above the question? No, so write below.

Last, the whole message is not necessary if you only refer to some lines
of it.

And last+1th point (constraint error, I know): you don't have to
put the original message-ID twice in one posting. Just have a look
at my beginning, it reads like: "Stephane Richard <email> wrote:"

Your introduction is "in news:msgid\n something else". It's is
absolutely unimportant to state the msgid, because it is included
in the reference-header. And two lines of introduction is almost like
a whole chapter, not a introduction-line.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Das wenige was ich esse kann ich auch trinken!

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-17 20:14     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-08-17 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane Richard; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

Duplicating AdaPower's content or making another link site instead of
looking to bolster a single "link" site and creating new content sites.

David Botton

@ 2003-08-17 21:31         ` ISH
From: ISH @ 2003-08-17 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why Wiki Works: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhyWikiWorks

The one I use: http://twiki.org/

--

@ 2003-08-18  6:22   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-08-18  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Creem wrote:

> Something that would be nice would be the ability to have outsiders
> post package abstracts and links semi-automatically. Something like a
> freshmeat.net directory for Ada only would be useful.

Yes. If this is made one can have a look at the vim repository
(vim.sf.net) for ideas (and also KDE project (www.kde.org))

--

@ 2003-08-18  6:26       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-08-18  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Holm wrote:
> --XWcQ,xx:PlOaW=.D
>
> I would like to see a general Ada page that carries nicely organized
> inform= ation and which doesn't look like it was designed in the early
> nineties. Perhaps something = like http://www.devx.com/ without all
> the ads and microsoftisms. Adapower's look= is simply outdated and
> makes people new to Ada think that we are dealing with a dead
> language.= You can do wonders with some stylesheets these days even
> without having any artistic talent wh= atsoever (believe me, I know
> ;).

Well, actually I like the style of the m3 web page. It is clean, simple
and uncluttered. It doesn't try to distract your eyes at eight different
places at the same time. http://www.m3.org/

--
�I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet.
 So who am I to judge.�
                 - The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (radioplay)

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-21  1:02 ` R. Srinivasan
From: R. Srinivasan @ 2003-08-21  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

How about a section devoted to :

List of potential open source projects which can be developed in Ada.
Different "leaders" can propose and others could "join" one of these
projects. Eventual goal being making a "product" available to the world at
large.

Some examples that I would be interested - time permitting - in myself would
be :

- SNMP suite
- System Modelers & Simulators
- Multimedia tools - CD, DVD rippers, etc.....

@ 2003-08-21  1:31   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-21  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Be my own Ada SourceForge ?   I like the sound of that :-)

--
"R. Srinivasan" <r.srinivasan@cox.net> wrote in message
> How about a section devoted to :
>
> List of potential open source projects which can be developed in Ada.
> Different "leaders" can propose and others could "join" one of these
> projects. Eventual goal being making a "product" available to the world at
> large.
>
> Some examples that I would be interested - time permitting - in myself
would
> be :
>
> - SNMP suite
> - System Modelers & Simulators
> - Multimedia tools - CD, DVD rippers, etc.....
>

> "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> > I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website.  and i'm wondering
> >
> > 1. if it would be considered blasphemis by the existing website of
> authority
> > such as adapower (I dont want to compete, I want Ada to have more
presence
> > :-).
> > 2. Encouraged as a new effort to promote Ada in yet one more place :-).
> >
> > I have my ideas on the contents of the website itself, however It looks
> like
> > there would be a bit of redundance again as per adapower since they
> already
> > have a complete list of Ada Stuff :-).  So if you guys could, give me a
> few
> > suggestions as to what the site could have without any (or minimal)
> > conflicts of contents with the already popular website....sso that users
> > have a possibly different reasont o visit my website.  as well as the
> > existing ones :-)
> >
> > --
> > St�phane Richard
> > Senior Software and Technology Supervisor
> > http://www.totalweb-inc.com
> > For all your hosting and related needs

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-21 14:56 ` Isaac Gouy
From: Isaac Gouy @ 2003-08-21 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm in the process of creating my Ada Website
> 1. <snip> I want Ada to have more presence
> 2. <snip> a new effort to promote Ada

Work on the purpose of the website a little more
- what different groups of people are you providing this for?
- what will each of the different groups want/need?
- how best can you provide all those needs?

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-21 19:49     ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-21 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I posted this thread it was to gather bits of information in order to
realize namely what the purpose or goal of my website would be. Now, with
the response I've had so far.  I pretty much know what I want to do..

1. Promote Ada not just as another programming language, but as a viable
development environment for any categories of development projects.  Again
someone mentionned on this newsgroup that everybody says that Ada is jsut as
capable as any other language to develop quality professional level
software.  How many of these projects actually exist right now....what
project could be done to prove that Ada is up to the task?   I'd like a list
of past projects too to get a bit of history going on on the website.

2. Offer A wiki or a Forum to new and existing ada users. This is ye tto be
determined, I'm thinking this newsgroup might be enough...and a forum or
Wiki might be overkill...Although I could make a forum for active
development projects in Ada as part of the 3rd goal.

3. I'd like to host Active development projects in Ada.  I like that idea
that was sent to me in this forum from R. Srinivasan....Hence the forum I
mentionned in Item 2 however it would be diferent forum as would be the
newsgroup or general forum about Ada...but I think it would be a good way to
comment each project and document the work being done on the project as
well.  This would be for new projects and ideas, for new projects I'd also
be able to host the source code (soemwhat like Sourceforge althought I'm not
sure about CVS support and all that yet.  Like someone said there's no use
replicating the code.  if it's already being hosted somewhere you can still
tell me about the project, and we'll create a forum for it to so people know
about it and you can provide links to where the sources are actually hosted.

As for the groups people that I'm aiming basically anyone wanting to know
what Ada is can probably find answers here.   Ada Power is still active
although it's difficult for David Botton to update it currently as he
mentionned.  So I wouldn't want to replicate too much information from his
website.  As you might have read he's looking for someone that might hav a
bit of time to help him keep his website updated so maybe someone could?
this would be great for hsi website.  But anyone wantting to learn how to
program in ada, in any level would be better off at AdaPower for that.

For any other groups of people I think the goals mentionned above speak for
themselves as for which type of people I would be aiming for.  adn of course
a related links section to tie every existing website together would be good
:-).   Do I hear Ada Webring?  perhaps, or perhaps just a related links
page. :-)

--

@ 2003-08-21 19:52   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-21 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the double post, somehow my mouse wasn't in the right place when I
hit reply post...:-) this message is a reply to this post so here goes :-)

@ 2003-08-25  2:27     ` tom
From: tom @ 2003-08-25  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've just picked up Ada95 out of frustration and annoyance with C++.
Since I'm totally new to Ada, I've been collecting code, tools and
books for self-study.  I have many, many links around the web and a
website to aggregate a bunch of them would be nice.  I have also
encountered many dead links.

The website should have a copy of the Ada Library Reference Manual for
download.  All links that I have found so far do not work, but the
online version seems to work just fine.

I really like the idea of a project page similar to Sourceforge.  I'd
also like to see 2 kinds of Ada forges:  one for learning projects for
noobs and one for serious stuff.

IDEA:  My goal is to become employed and work on an Ada project.
Since I'm learning the language alone, having a mentor would be nice.
A mentor system, similar to that of SAGE, would be a great help to
anyone interested in Ada.   Such a system would help Ada noobs by
generating and maintaining interest as well as creating a sense of
community.

The mentors could assume responsibility for "grading" newbie answers
to projects in the Ada forge noob section.  Generally, I see the
mentors looking over the noob's code and simply asking questions about
it in order to get the noob to move their thoughts in the right
direction.  After a suitable number of iterations AND progress, a
series of possible answers would then be made available to the noob by
the mentor (by adding the noob's username to that problems's access
list).

You could probably set all this up on Sourceforge.  Each project gets
both a project site and a public web site.  I'm sure Sourceforge would
allow alot of the things you are talking about, especially since
you're promoting the language and projects for it.  SF also provides
database and CVS access.  Besides, Sourceforge has the bandwidth and
is completely free.  The downside is that you have to use Apache and
not the Ada webserver :)

I would be willing to assist with the website.  I also like to write
and would be willing to share my "discoveries" about Ada in the form
of essays, tutorials and examples.

--Tom

* Ada website Status Report #1
@ 2003-08-26  1:14   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-26  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

The design on the website is officially started, I have also registered the
website name (to make sure I could get it :-).  I'm planning on having the
bases of the design (basically all linked pages without any Database (yet
since I have nothing to put in there, no wikis no forum and no projects :-).
the rest of the website should be done in about a week maybe two (Depending
on the time I can actually put in. but so far it's been progressing well
:-).

And now you're up to date :-).

--

@ 2003-08-26 16:22       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-08-26 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard wrote:

> be able to host the source code (soemwhat like Sourceforge althought I'm
> not
> sure about CVS support and all that yet.

Wy not just use SourceForge for Project Hosting and have your WebPage
concentrate on the other stuff?

SourceForge provides everything one needs for Project Hosting and every Team
can more or less manage themself.

> Like someone said there's no use
> replicating the code.  if it's already being hosted somewhere you can
> still tell me about the project, and we'll create a forum for it to so
> people know about it and you can provide links to where the sources are
> actually hosted.

Right way to go.

> :-).   Do I hear Ada Webring?  perhaps, or perhaps just a related links
> page. :-)

I never found Webrings that usefull. A WebDirectory for Ada seems better to
me.

> "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Be my own Ada SourceForge ?   I like the sound of that :-)

Again: Why duplicate SourceForge when SourceForge already exists? Why not
apply for a SourceForge Ada Foundrie?

With Regards

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* RE: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-27 11:14 Lionel.DRAGHI
From: Lionel.DRAGHI @ 2003-08-27 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Hi Stephane,

I agree whith Martin.
When we decided sometimes ago with Sam to redesign Ada-France www
(http://www.ada-france.org), we discussed what could be done to help Ada
through the net.
Hosting Ada project was not a real need, SourceForge and other are already
available. Indeed, this is not so easy to administrate. One may even argue
that it's better to have Ada projects hosted on SourceForge or Savannah than
on a specific server, to increase Ada visibility.

AdaIC, AdaPower and maybe some others are pretty good Ada site. Obviously,
you could always better something, here the usability or here get a better
look, etc., but this is a lot of work with very few added value for the Ada
community.

Our conclusion was that the only real need is :
1 - a news portal : when you see that some Ada web page are several month
old, it could gives an impression of a dying interest/support for Ada. On
the other side, there is hardly one week without a tools/library/etc.
version announce on cla.

2 - a collaborative site : this is a good way to share the work, get
information quickly, documents up to date, etc.

3 - and also a sexy look, to avoid the impression that Ada is an old
military thing, and confirm that there is an active community.

To conclude, i retains much more interesting the Ada Wiki or the Ada webring
idea than doing another AdaPower/AdaIC/SourceForce/etc.

--
Lionel Draghi              http://swpat.ffii.org/index.fr.html

PS : we are still looking for volonteers to give ada-france web a more
convenient look (and to write news). Any volunteers?

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-27 12:14 ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-27 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

<Lionel.DRAGHI@fr.thalesgroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi Stephane,
>
> I agree whith Martin.
> When we decided sometimes ago with Sam to redesign Ada-France www
> (http://www.ada-france.org), we discussed what could be done to help Ada
> through the net.
> Hosting Ada project was not a real need, SourceForge and other are already
> available. Indeed, this is not so easy to administrate. One may even argue
> that it's better to have Ada projects hosted on SourceForge or Savannah
than
> on a specific server, to increase Ada visibility.
>
> AdaIC, AdaPower and maybe some others are pretty good Ada site. Obviously,
> you could always better something, here the usability or here get a better
> look, etc., but this is a lot of work with very few added value for the
Ada
> community.
>
> Our conclusion was that the only real need is :
> 1 - a news portal : when you see that some Ada web page are several month
> old, it could gives an impression of a dying interest/support for Ada. On
> the other side, there is hardly one week without a tools/library/etc.
> version announce on cla.
>
> 2 - a collaborative site : this is a good way to share the work, get
> information quickly, documents up to date, etc.
>
> 3 - and also a sexy look, to avoid the impression that Ada is an old
> military thing, and confirm that there is an active community.
>
> To conclude, i retains much more interesting the Ada Wiki or the Ada
webring
> idea than doing another AdaPower/AdaIC/SourceForce/etc.
>
> --
> Lionel Draghi              http://swpat.ffii.org/index.fr.html
>
> PS : we are still looking for volonteers to give ada-france web a more
> convenient look (and to write news). Any volunteers?

Here's my point of view on the project parts.

1. The first reason I had to want to do this isn't really a new sourceforge
lookalike per say.  I'm offering this only as an alternative as far as
project sources/distributions are concerned.  Maybe some programmers simply
dont want to go through all the steps and different project management
methods that are at sourceforge.   Maybe they just want a place to put their
sources and distributions so others can download them and have a "wiki" or
something like it to keep others informed on their work.  a lot of users may
also have their own version control system at home so they can do that part
locally and only post a new version when they see it fit.

2. As I said in 1.  I do plan to offer WIKIs for the projects, whether they
are hosted on the website or not.  Visitors might still want to be updated
on a given project they know about.  I'm not trying to be the only place
where anyone can find Ada development projects.  but that also brings me to
point 3.  But essentially, the purpose of my website is to tell visitors
"this is to give you an idea of what Ada can do for you".  I expect a lot of
visitors will be curious about Ada. and will want to know this kind of
information before they thrown themselves into learning it, or converting
projects to Ada.

3. Without searching in the project tree at sourceforge, have you every
tried to search for a given type of software, at sourceforge.  One of the
missions of my website is to promote Ada (in all it's aspects) and
development projects are definitaly one of them.  however, I find it hard to
see if any project pertaining to a specific category are built in Ada.
Source forge has no biased programming language per say, and that's good for
what they do, they promote OpenSource software.  Not the same goal as the
website.  I dont want people to see everything that's happening in the Open
Source community, I want to "highlight" what's being done in Ada itself.

In that line of thought, yes WIKIs will be there.  Hosting of projects is
not a must, it's an option to those that dont feel they need all the
resources available tot them at sourceforge but do want a place where people
can download their projects.  I'll gladly provide links to any ada projects
hosted on sourceforge, and treat them as any other project, give them the
ability to have their own WIKIs, talk about their projects, post surveys to
know if they are going in the right direction or see what new "user
suggested features" they can look at implementing, etc etc.. They will also
be a user's forum for general Ada discussions, in there will be an
annoucement categories where developers will be able to post new
annoucements about their project, be it a new version made available, a new
idea for a project (which they might want to know if it's a good idea, if it
has potential and the likes).  :-)

Then there's the regular contents a website should have, like a feedback
form, news, ada adcocacy (brag about ada basically :-)....

--

@ 2003-08-27 12:50 Lionel.DRAGHI
From: Lionel.DRAGHI @ 2003-08-27 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

My point was to avoid the "there is only 13 Ada projects on SourceForge, so
the language is dead".
Not a big point, i agree.

It's much more important to get Ada project announced on Freshmeat, or
wherever possible ouside the Ada community.

--
Lionel Draghi

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-27 13:39 ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-27 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]

You get a point there :-).....I have to agree

--

@ 2003-08-28 11:55         ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-28 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Again: Why duplicate SourceForge when SourceForge already exists? Why not
apply for a SourceForge Ada Foundrie?"

Where can I do that?
--
"Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
> Stephane Richard wrote:
>

> > be able to host the source code (soemwhat like Sourceforge althought I'm
> > not
> > sure about CVS support and all that yet.
>
> Wy not just use SourceForge for Project Hosting and have your WebPage
> concentrate on the other stuff?
>
> SourceForge provides everything one needs for Project Hosting and every
Team
> can more or less manage themself.
>
> > Like someone said there's no use
> > replicating the code.  if it's already being hosted somewhere you can
> > still tell me about the project, and we'll create a forum for it to so
> > people know about it and you can provide links to where the sources are
> > actually hosted.
>
> Right way to go.
>
> > :-).   Do I hear Ada Webring?  perhaps, or perhaps just a related links
> > page. :-)
>
> I never found Webrings that usefull. A WebDirectory for Ada seems better
> me.
>
> > "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >> Be my own Ada SourceForge ?   I like the sound of that :-)
>
> Again: Why duplicate SourceForge when SourceForge already exists? Why not
> apply for a SourceForge Ada Foundrie?
>
> With Regards
>
> Martin
>
> --
> mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
> http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-29 17:04         ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-08-29 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Stephane Richard wrote:
>

> > be able to host the source code (soemwhat like Sourceforge althought I'm
> > not
> > sure about CVS support and all that yet.
>
> Wy not just use SourceForge for Project Hosting and have your WebPage
> concentrate on the other stuff?

A better option is Savannah (http://savannah.nongnu.org/); it's more
OpenSource friendly.

There's already an Ada project there: Grace.

> SourceForge provides everything one needs for Project Hosting and
> every Team can more or less manage themself.

Ditto for Savannah.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-29 17:14   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-08-29 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:

> Here's my point of view on the project parts.
>
> 1. The first reason I had to want to do this isn't really a new sourceforge
> lookalike per say.  I'm offering this only as an alternative as far as
> project sources/distributions are concerned.  Maybe some programmers simply
> dont want to go through all the steps and different project management
> methods that are at sourceforge.

Then it's not a real project. Everything at SourceForge (or Savannah)
is necessary on a real project. Small projects don't need all the
bells and whistles at first, but they can just be ignored, and will be
needed later.

> Maybe they just want a place to put their sources and distributions
> so others can download them and have a "wiki" or something like it
> to keep others informed on their work.

That's what Savannah is. The Grace project was _very_ simple to set
up; all we needed to do was get ssh cvs working, and set a few admin
parameters.

I strongly suggest you _try_ setting up a Savannah project before you
decide it's "too hard".

> a lot of users may also have their own version control system at
> home so they can do that part locally and only post a new version
> when they see it fit.

Also not appropriate for a "real project", where there is more than
one developer.

I'm considering moving all my projects to Savannah, so I can share
them between my own several machines more easily.

> 2. As I said in 1. I do plan to offer WIKIs for the projects,
> whether they are hosted on the website or not. Visitors might still
> want to be updated on a given project they know about.

I'm not clear on the advantages of WIKIs vs what Savannah currently
has; can you list them?

> 3. Without searching in the project tree at sourceforge, have you every
> tried to search for a given type of software, at sourceforge.

I just searched for "ada" at Savannah. It found several projects
written in Ada (some that I had not known about), including Grace. It
also found some that apparently are not written in Ada.

Yes, search engines are complex, failure-prone beasts. Using a
separate web site with different software is not the best cure, in my
opinion.

If you really want a separate website, just get a copy of the Savannah
system (it's all Free Software).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-29 21:39     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2003-08-29 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> writes:

> > 3. Without searching in the project tree at sourceforge, have you
> > every tried to search for a given type of software, at
> > sourceforge.
>
> I just searched for "ada" at Savannah. It found several projects
> written in Ada (some that I had not known about), including
> Grace. It also found some that apparently are not written in Ada.
>
> Yes, search engines are complex, failure-prone beasts. Using a
> separate web site with different software is not the best cure, in
> my opinion.
>
> If you really want a separate website, just get a copy of the
> Savannah system (it's all Free Software).

Stephe, while I agree on all your other points, I must say that
SourceForge has a very nifty feature called the Software Map.  In it,
you can browse the projects by programming language; there are
currently 67 Ada projects there.  By contrast, on Savannah, you have
to rely on the project maintainers to mention the word "Ada" in the
project description, and then the search engine produces a lot of
noise (e.g. project "bradabra").  I think the SourceForge feature of
classifying projects by programming language is quite nice and useful.

BTW, the software for SourceForge is also free; so much so that it's
even in Debian's main section, and is the base for Savannah.

Also, what makes you say that Savannah is more OpenSource-friendly
than SourceForge?

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-30  5:26     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-08-30  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'd like to have a look at that code Dmitriy, indeed it would be a good
> boost to Ada I think, to have a website powered by it.

www.adaic.com is run by an all-Ada web server, including search engine and
spotlight server. (The www.adaic.org mirror is on a commercial server for
faster connectivity.)

             Randy Brukardt
             Technical Webmaster, adaic.org/.com

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-30  5:34       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-08-30  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"tom" <crebralfix@angelfire.com> wrote in message
> The website should have a copy of the Ada Library Reference Manual for
> download.  All links that I have found so far do not work, but the
> online version seems to work just fine.

The "home" of the RM is www.adaic.org. If you can't download from
www.adaic.org/standards/ada95.html, drop a line to webmaster@adaic.com and
we'll look into it. The RM is there is HTML and PDF, as is the AARM,
Rational, style guide, and various other documents.

            Randy Brukardt
            Technical Webmaster, adaic.org/adaic.com

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-08-30 10:43           ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-08-30 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard wrote:

> "Again: Why duplicate SourceForge when SourceForge already exists? Why not
> apply for a SourceForge Ada Foundrie?"
>
> Where can I do that?

At:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=889&group_id=1#foundryrequest

You will need an SourceForge User to do that.

You may a add me and my project as supporting you request.

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2003-08-30 10:51 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2003-08-30 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lionel.DRAGHI@fr.thalesgroup.com wrote:

Last time I looked there where 67 Ada projects in SourceForge. But the
situation will not improve if we split ada project accross several project
sites or invent new one sites.

Get me right: I speak about project sites not a news and info portal. Here
too we have many sites but not one single starting point telling you where
to find what.

With Regards

Martin

--

@ 2003-08-30 12:51             ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-30 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well I've made the request at sourceforge for an Ada foundry.

I used your name and project :-).

now, let's just see what happens.  I got user account there
already....MystikShadows  would be my nick there :-)

--
> Stephane Richard wrote:
>
> > "Again: Why duplicate SourceForge when SourceForge already exists? Why
not
> > apply for a SourceForge Ada Foundrie?"
> >
> > Where can I do that?
>
> At:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=889&group_id=1#foundryrequest

> You will need an SourceForge User to do that.
>
> You may a add me and my project as supporting you request.
>
> With Regards
>
> Martin
>
> --
> mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
> http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Idea of a new Ada website.
@ 2003-09-03 15:53       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2003-09-03 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@skynet.be> writes:

> Stephe, while I agree on all your other points, I must say that
> SourceForge has a very nifty feature called the Software Map.  In it,
> you can browse the projects by programming language; there are
> currently 67 Ada projects there.  By contrast, on Savannah, you have
> to rely on the project maintainers to mention the word "Ada" in the
> project description, and then the search engine produces a lot of
> noise (e.g. project "bradabra").  I think the SourceForge feature of
> classifying projects by programming language is quite nice and useful.

Ok. So help the Savannah people implement that :).

> BTW, the software for SourceForge is also free; so much so that it's
> even in Debian's main section, and is the base for Savannah.

Ok, so use the SourceForge software for your site. My basic point is
"don't re-invent the wheel".

> Also, what makes you say that Savannah is more OpenSource-friendly
> than SourceForge?

Well, I'm mostly going on some discussions that took place here over a
year ago. It seems SourceForge took some of their code out of the Open
Source license, and some developers got upset, and left to form
Savannah.

To be precise, I suspect Savannah is more Free Software friendly, not
just Open Source friendly. But this is drifting way off topic for
c.l.a.

--
-- Stephe