From: "John B. Matthews" <nospam@nospam.com>
Subject: Re: Redhat Linux 9.0 and Gnat
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 03:58:59 GMT
Date: 2003-10-07T03:58:59+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <5e3e03a7.0310061123.34c53510@posting.google.com>,
 mark_doherty@yahoo.co.uk (Mark Doherty) wrote:

> I am new to Linux and have installed a full installation of Linux from
> redhat (9). I then updated to the latest versions of most RPMs using
> redhat network. This has installed gcc 3.2. I have tried to install
> AWS and the compiler does not recognise pragma Unreferenced. I have
> got round it for the moment by removing the -gnatwe style switches.
> I don't understand why the pragma Unreferenced has been removed in a
> later version of GCC. It seems like a good pragma to me. Is there
> another pragma to use instead.

You could move forward to 3.3.1-6, from RedHat's beta packages

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

You'll need (at least)

gcc-3.3.1-6
gcc-gnat-3.3.1-6
libgnat-3.3.1-6

> Am I wasting my time using gcc 3.2 until GNAT supports it. (I am not
> sure what version of gnat I am using because I don't know the Linux
> command that tells me). If so how do I go back to 2.8.1.

You can query your rpm database with a command like

rpm -qa | grep -i gcc

and get inofrmation about individual pacakages

rpm -qi gcc-gnat

> Do all the components compiled with gcc 3.2 need to be recompiled,
> how?
> Should I install Redhat 7.x instead?
>
> Having gone through the initial installation pain of Linux (UK BT
> broadband modem), I am not going back to Windows!
>
> Mark

John
----
jmatthews at wright dot edu