From: "John B. Matthews" <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Protected object which never get finalized
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:35:47 -0500
Date: 2010-02-14T07:35:47-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <op.u71i2edlvwnd5a@garhos>,
 Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> I may be not lucky : after the case of an object of a protected type
> being  finalized too much soon, here is now that I have to do with an
> object of a  protected type which never gets finalized (think I was
> to use this latter  as a work around after long try failure with the
> former, I'm really not  lucky at all).
>
> Inquisitive peoples with interests in the case, may have a look at
> the  following test : two protected types are defined, with exact
> equivalent  definition. One is defined in a package, the other is
> defined in the local  scope. An instance of the first (the one
> defined  in the package), never  get finalized. An instance of the
> second type (declared in the local  scope), goes through its normal
> life.
>
> But perhaps there's something I did not understood

I get the same result with gcc 4.3.4, but it works if protected type
A_Type is public in P:

   package P is
      protected type A_Type is
      private
          Spy : Spies.Instance_Type
            (Client_Name => new String'("P.A_Type"));
      end;
   end P;

Type A_Type has its own private part, and this seems more comparable to
the declaration of protected type B_Type. Is there any reason to make
A_Type more opaque?

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com