* OpenGL and Glut bindings
@ 2002-10-29 22:51 Caffeine Junky
From: Caffeine Junky @ 2002-10-29 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been looking around for bindings to OpenGL or Glut.

I know the SGI/Gnat compiler comes with the bindings, but I havent found
them for the free Gnat on Linux/x86. I know where the source code is,
I've downloaded the Debian source packages and suppose I could see about
compiling them myself, but I running into problems getting them to link
properly.

Do I need to specifically purchase the GNAT compiler for Linux to get
these libs? Not much of a problem, but if I intend to distribute my
source code freely, that could cause a problem for others trying to
compile the source without the bindings. I could also code up my own
bindings, which isnt entirely out of the question, but I'm assuming that
Gnat bindings are a bit more stable.

Basically, I'm a little confused as to the status of the OpenGL/Glut
bindings for Ada. Any help would be appreciated.

Caffiene Junky

* Re: OpenGL and Glut bindings
@ 2002-10-30 14:40 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-10-30 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Caffeine Junky <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<aiEv9.1262$I_5.71@rwcrnsc53>...
> I've been looking around for bindings to OpenGL or Glut.
>
> I know the SGI/Gnat compiler comes with the bindings, but I havent found
> them for the free Gnat on Linux/x86. I know where the source code is,
> I've downloaded the Debian source packages and suppose I could see about
> compiling them myself, but I running into problems getting them to link
> properly.

I don't have an SGI around to check, but I would not be at all
suprised if the OpenGL bindings that come with SGI/Gnat weren't SGI
bindings with an SGI copyright (and non-Free license), genereated by
SGI's famous proprietary binding generator. After all, OpenGL is an
SGI API...

* Re: OpenGL and Glut bindings
@ 2002-11-01 21:29 ` Stefan Soos
From: Stefan Soos @ 2002-11-01 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:51:50 GMT, Caffeine Junky <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking around for bindings to OpenGL or Glut.

You could try the thin binding to the SDL library. SDL itself is a
multiplatform game development library with support for OpenGL and
Glut.
You can find SDL at http://www.libsdl.org and the Ada binding at
http://adasdl.sourceforge.net.

HTH,