* [anouncement] MingGW release for the GNU Ada Project
@ 2008-01-27 12:28 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-01-27 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

well it took for ever But not it is there: A release of The GNU Ada Release.
This is the first release which includes the files needed to compile ASIS,
GLADE and GPS later on [1].

Like the Unix Releases this release installs into /opt and therefore won't
overwrite your default MinGW compiler.

The release is still not as complete as the Unix bases releases but it
allready contains the Booch components and XMLAda.

Download from:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12974&package_id=240621
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12974&package_id=260608

Have fun.

Martin

[1] Note to other maintainers: Those files are *not* included on "make
install" - You have to add them yourself!
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: [anouncement] MingGW release for the GNU Ada Project
@ 2008-02-03  1:42 ` Fionn Mac Cumhaill
From: Fionn Mac Cumhaill @ 2008-02-03  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:28:42 +0100, Martin Krischik
<krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>well it took for ever But not it is there: A release of The GNU Ada Release.
>This is the first release which includes the files needed to compile ASIS,
>GLADE and GPS later on [1].
>
>Like the Unix Releases this release installs into /opt and therefore won't
>overwrite your default MinGW compiler.
>
>The release is still not as complete as the Unix bases releases but it
>allready contains the Booch components and XMLAda.
>
>Download from:
>
>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12974&package_id=240621
>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12974&package_id=260608
>
>Have fun.
>
>Martin
>
>[1] Note to other maintainers: Those files are *not* included on "make
>install" - You have to add them yourself!

I finally got around to trying this out today and it crashed - it
wants to have libintl-8.dll and it's nowhere to be found.

* Re: [anouncement] MingGW release for the GNU Ada Project
@ 2008-02-03  9:19   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-02-03  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fionn Mac Cumhaill wrote:

> I finally got around to trying this out today and it crashed - it
> wants to have libintl-8.dll and it's nowhere to be found.

Did you install MinGW itself - you will need it. This is also one of the
advantages of AdaCore releases: they invested the time to tear all needed
parts out of MinGW to provide a one .EXE install. We are far from that so
you need to install MinGW.

Follow instruction on

http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MinGW
http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/TAR/MinGW

Martin

--

@ 2008-02-03 14:07     ` Fionn Mac Cumhaill
From: Fionn Mac Cumhaill @ 2008-02-03 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 10:19:38 +0100, Martin Krischik
<krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>Fionn Mac Cumhaill wrote:
>
>> I finally got around to trying this out today and it crashed - it
>> wants to have libintl-8.dll and it's nowhere to be found.
>
>Did you install MinGW itself - you will need it. This is also one of the
>advantages of AdaCore releases: they invested the time to tear all needed
>parts out of MinGW to provide a one .EXE install. We are far from that so
>you need to install MinGW.
>
>Follow instruction on
>
>http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MinGW
>http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/TAR/MinGW
>

>Martin

I already have MinGW and MSYS installed;

The problem turned out to be gettext; I found a copy of gettext-0.16
that was a part of an attempt to build gcc 4.2.1 from source; the
gettext subtree contained a copy of the missing dll. I copied it to a
directory on my Windows path and the immediate problem went away.

I couldn't find libintl-8.dll in any of the gettext tarballs from the
MinGW SourceForge site.

* Re: [anouncement] MingGW release for the GNU Ada Project
@ 2008-02-04  7:51       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-02-04  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fionn Mac Cumhaill schrieb:
> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 10:19:38 +0100, Martin Krischik
> <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> Fionn Mac Cumhaill wrote:
>>
>>> I finally got around to trying this out today and it crashed - it
>>> wants to have libintl-8.dll and it's nowhere to be found.
>> Did you install MinGW itself - you will need it. This is also one of the
>> advantages of AdaCore releases: they invested the time to tear all needed
>> parts out of MinGW to provide a one .EXE install. We are far from that so
>> you need to install MinGW.
>>
>> Follow instruction on
>>
>> http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MinGW
>> http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/TAR/MinGW
>>

>> Martin
>
> I already have MinGW and MSYS installed;
>
> The problem turned out to be gettext; I found a copy of gettext-0.16
> that was a part of an attempt to build gcc 4.2.1 from source; the
> gettext subtree contained a copy of the missing dll. I copied it to a
> directory on my Windows path and the immediate problem went away.
>
> I couldn't find libintl-8.dll in any of the gettext tarballs from the
> MinGW SourceForge site.

I see - BTW: gettext is on the to-do list:

http://gnuada.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuada/trunk/mingw/SCRIPTS/Make_Get_Text.bash?view=markup

But it has proven tricky.

Martin

--

@ 2008-02-05  4:30         ` Fionn Mac Cumhaill
From: Fionn Mac Cumhaill @ 2008-02-05  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 08:51:57 +0100, Martin Krischik
<krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>Fionn Mac Cumhaill schrieb:
>> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 10:19:38 +0100, Martin Krischik
>> <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>>> Did you install MinGW itself - you will need it. This is also one of the
>>> advantages of AdaCore releases: they invested the time to tear all needed
>>> parts out of MinGW to provide a one .EXE install. We are far from that so
>>> you need to install MinGW.
>>>
>>> Follow instruction on
>>>
>>> http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MinGW
>>> http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/TAR/MinGW
>>>

>>> Martin
>>
>> I already have MinGW and MSYS installed;
>>
>> The problem turned out to be gettext; I found a copy of gettext-0.16
>> that was a part of an attempt to build gcc 4.2.1 from source; the
>> gettext subtree contained a copy of the missing dll. I copied it to a
>> directory on my Windows path and the immediate problem went away.
>>
>> I couldn't find libintl-8.dll in any of the gettext tarballs from the
>> MinGW SourceForge site.
>
>I see - BTW: gettext is on the to-do list:
>
>http://gnuada.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuada/trunk/mingw/SCRIPTS/Make_Get_Text.bash?view=markup
>
>But it has proven tricky.
>
>Martin

Note that I haven't had time yet to actually use anything in
/opt/gnat/gcc/bin in a non-trivial way; I have only invoked them in
ways such as

gcc -v
or
strings --help

etc, to verify that they don't crash immediately; there may very well
be other problems that turn up when I have time for more detailed
testing.

* Re: [anouncement] MingGW release for the GNU Ada Project
@ 2008-02-06 12:46           ` Fionn Mac Cumhaill
From: Fionn Mac Cumhaill @ 2008-02-06 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 04:30:31 GMT, Fionn Mac Cumhaill
<invisible@hiding.from.spam> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 08:51:57 +0100, Martin Krischik
><krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>>Fionn Mac Cumhaill schrieb:

>>> I already have MinGW and MSYS installed;
>>>
>>> The problem turned out to be gettext; I found a copy of gettext-0.16
>>> that was a part of an attempt to build gcc 4.2.1 from source; the
>>> gettext subtree contained a copy of the missing dll. I copied it to a
>>> directory on my Windows path and the immediate problem went away.
>>>
>>> I couldn't find libintl-8.dll in any of the gettext tarballs from the
>>> MinGW SourceForge site.
>>
>>I see - BTW: gettext is on the to-do list:
>>
>>http://gnuada.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuada/trunk/mingw/SCRIPTS/Make_Get_Text.bash?view=markup
>>
>>But it has proven tricky.
>>
>>Martin
>
>Note that I haven't had time yet to actually use anything in
>/opt/gnat/gcc/bin in a non-trivial way; I have only invoked them in
>ways such as
>
>gcc -v
>or
>strings --help
>
>etc, to verify that they don't crash immediately; there may very well
>be other problems that turn up when I have time for more detailed
>testing.

Ok, I have done a bit of testing. GCC Bugzilla bug 33420 is still
present. Test case included below. Everything after the row of
asterisks is intended as input to gnatchop. Beware of line wraps.

******
-- test2.adb

with GWindows.Types;
with GWindows.XBase;

procedure Test2

is
  My_Handle: GWindows.Types.Handle;

begin
  My_Handle := GWindows.XBase.Handle (GWindows.XBase.Focus.all);  --
This is the offending line.
  null;
end Test2;-- gwindows.ads
package GWindows is

end GWindows;
--gwindows.types.ads

with Interfaces.C;

package GWindows.Types is

   subtype Handle is Interfaces.C.long;

end GWindows.Types;
-- gwindows-xbase.ads

with Ada.Finalization;

with GWindows.Types;

with Interfaces.C;

package GWindows.XBase is
   use type Interfaces.C.unsigned;

   type Base_Window_Type is
     new Ada.Finalization.Limited_Controlled with private;
   type Base_Window_Access is access all Base_Window_Type;
   type Pointer_To_Base_Window_Class is access all
Base_Window_Type'Class;

   procedure Finalize (Object : in out Base_Window_Type);

   function Focus return Pointer_To_Base_Window_Class;

   procedure Focus (Window : in out Base_Window_Type);

   type Base_Data_Type is tagged null record;
   type Base_Data_Access is access all Base_Data_Type;
   type Pointer_To_Base_Data_Class is access all Base_Data_Type'Class;

   function Handle (Window : in Base_Window_Type)
                   return GWindows.Types.Handle;
private
   type Base_Window_Type is new Ada.Finalization.Limited_Controlled
with
      record
         HWND : GWindows.Types.Handle := 0;
      end record;
end GWindows.XBase;
-- gwindows-xbase.adb

with Interfaces.C;

package body GWindows.XBase is

   use type Interfaces.C.long;

   --------------
   -- Finalize --
   --------------

   procedure Finalize (Object : in out Base_Window_Type) is
     pragma Warnings (Off, Object);
   begin
     null;
   end Finalize;

   -----------
   -- Focus --
   -----------

   function Focus return Pointer_To_Base_Window_Class
   is
   begin
     return null;
   end Focus;

   -----------
   -- Focus --  !!!! If this procedure is removed, the bug box goes
away !!!!
   -----------

   procedure Focus (Window : in out Base_Window_Type) is
      procedure SetFocus  (hwnd : GWindows.Types.Handle);
      pragma  Import (StdCall, SetFocus, "SetFocus");
   begin
      SetFocus (Window.HWND);
   end Focus;

   ------------