From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Avoiding dispatching in procedure's with classwide types
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 16:05:35 -0500
Date: 2016-06-07T16:05:35-05:00	[thread overview]

"Jeremiah" <jeremiah.breeden@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ed73869e-5316-4cf3-bc76-e192f14ef506@googlegroups.com...
> I wonder why they chose to make the dot notation require a tagged type?

Mainly because there were semantic problems with allowing prefixed notation
on some kinds of untagged types (esp. access types). Because Ada tries hard
not to break privacy for Legality Rules, disallowing access types also
requires disallowing any untagged private types (as the full type might have
been access). Since essentially all ADTs should be tagged (and controlled)
these days, just saying tagged seemed like the best way to deal with the
issues.

I have to wonder if a "final" for a tagged type (not an operation) would be
useful, as there's no real good reason to hide taggedness (and lots of good
reasons not to hide it, prefix notation being exhibit A).

                                     Randy.