* ANN: Simple Components v4.13 released
@ 2016-05-30 20:36 Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-05-30 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

The library provides implementations of smart pointers, directed graphs,
sets, maps, B-trees, stacks, tables, string editing, unbounded arrays,
expression analyzers, lock-free data structures, synchronization
primitives (events, race condition free pulse events, arrays of events,
reentrant mutexes, deadlock-free arrays of mutexes), pseudo-random
non-repeating numbers, symmetric encoding and decoding, IEEE 754
representations support, multiple connections server/client designing tools.

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm

This version fixes bugs in the MQTT broker.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: ANN: Simple Components v4.13 released
@ 2016-06-01 10:06 ` slos
From: slos @ 2016-06-01 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le lundi 30 mai 2016 22:37:00 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
> The library provides implementations of smart pointers, directed graphs,
> sets, maps, B-trees, stacks, tables, string editing, unbounded arrays,
> expression analyzers, lock-free data structures, synchronization
> primitives (events, race condition free pulse events, arrays of events,
> reentrant mutexes, deadlock-free arrays of mutexes), pseudo-random
> non-repeating numbers, symmetric encoding and decoding, IEEE 754
> representations support, multiple connections server/client designing tools.
>
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm
>
> This version fixes bugs in the MQTT broker.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Hello Dmitry,

Thanks for providing not so "Simple Components".

AWS provides means to send and receive emails.
Does "Simple Components" provide such facility too ?
I have been through the documentation without finding it.

BR,
Stéphane
http://slo-ist.fr

* Re: ANN: Simple Components v4.13 released
@ 2016-06-01 12:11   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-06-01 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/06/2016 12:06, slos wrote:

> AWS provides means to send and receive emails.
> Does "Simple Components" provide such facility too ?
> I have been through the documentation without finding it.

Do you mean SMTP, POP3, IMAP protocols? No, I didn't implement them. It
should not be difficult but quite tedious in the part of reading through
all that huge pile of RFC documents.

I presume with an ability to service multitude of sockets by a single
task, one could design a nicely horrendous mail bomber in Ada... (:-))

--

@ 2016-06-01 12:55     ` slos
From: slos @ 2016-06-01 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 1 juin 2016 14:12:27 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
> On 01/06/2016 12:06, slos wrote:
>
> > AWS provides means to send and receive emails.
> > Does "Simple Components" provide such facility too ?
> > I have been through the documentation without finding it.
>
> Do you mean SMTP, POP3, IMAP protocols? No, I didn't implement them. It
> should not be difficult but quite tedious in the part of reading through
> all that huge pile of RFC documents.
>
> I presume with an ability to service multitude of sockets by a single
> task, one could design a nicely horrendous mail bomber in Ada... (:-))
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Well, that's not my use case... though I could think about bombing people with "Ada for Automation" related stuff... ;-)

No, sometimes it can be useful to send either an SMS or email when some alarm occurs.

Something like this :
https://www.rosettacode.org/wiki/Send_email#Ada
https://docs.adacore.com/aws-docs/aws/working_with_mails.html

Mister Pascal Obry had one but it seems not available any more :
http://pobry.blogspot.fr/p/ada-contributions.html

It states :
"SMTP		SMTP est une API Ada permettant d'envoyer des messages vers un serveur SMTP."
But the link is dead :
http://pascal.obry.pagesperso-orange.fr/archive/smtp.tar.gz

May be because of integration in AWS.

* Re: ANN: Simple Components v4.13 released
@ 2016-06-01 13:27       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-06-01 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/06/2016 14:55, slos wrote:
> Le mercredi 1 juin 2016 14:12:27 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
>> On 01/06/2016 12:06, slos wrote:
>>
>>> AWS provides means to send and receive emails.
>>> Does "Simple Components" provide such facility too ?
>>> I have been through the documentation without finding it.
>>
>> Do you mean SMTP, POP3, IMAP protocols? No, I didn't implement them. It
>> should not be difficult but quite tedious in the part of reading through
>> all that huge pile of RFC documents.
>>
>> I presume with an ability to service multitude of sockets by a single
>> task, one could design a nicely horrendous mail bomber in Ada... (:-))
>>
> Well, that's not my use case... though I could think about bombing people with "Ada for Automation" related stuff... ;-)
>
> No, sometimes it can be useful to send either an SMS or email when some alarm occurs.
>
> Something like this :
> https://www.rosettacode.org/wiki/Send_email#Ada
> https://docs.adacore.com/aws-docs/aws/working_with_mails.html
>
> Mister Pascal Obry had one but it seems not available any more :
> http://pobry.blogspot.fr/p/ada-contributions.html
>
> It states :
> "SMTP		SMTP est une API Ada permettant d'envoyer des messages vers un serveur SMTP."
> But the link is dead :
> http://pascal.obry.pagesperso-orange.fr/archive/smtp.tar.gz
>
> May be because of integration in AWS.

So, basically, you need only an SMTP client, right?

--

@ 2016-06-01 13:55         ` slos
From: slos @ 2016-06-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 1 juin 2016 15:28:11 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
> On 01/06/2016 14:55, slos wrote:

> >> Do you mean SMTP, POP3, IMAP protocols? No, I didn't implement them. It
> >> should not be difficult but quite tedious in the part of reading through
> >> all that huge pile of RFC documents.
> >>
> >> I presume with an ability to service multitude of sockets by a single
> >> task, one could design a nicely horrendous mail bomber in Ada... (:-))
> >>
> > Well, that's not my use case... though I could think about bombing people with "Ada for Automation" related stuff... ;-)
> >
> > No, sometimes it can be useful to send either an SMS or email when some alarm occurs.
> >
> > Something like this :
> > https://www.rosettacode.org/wiki/Send_email#Ada
> > https://docs.adacore.com/aws-docs/aws/working_with_mails.html
> >
> > Mister Pascal Obry had one but it seems not available any more :
> > http://pobry.blogspot.fr/p/ada-contributions.html
> >
> > It states :
> > "SMTP		SMTP est une API Ada permettant d'envoyer des messages vers un serveur SMTP."
> > But the link is dead :
> > http://pascal.obry.pagesperso-orange.fr/archive/smtp.tar.gz
> >
> > May be because of integration in AWS.
>
> So, basically, you need only an SMTP client, right?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Yes indeed !

* Re: ANN: Simple Components v4.13 released
@ 2016-06-01 14:12           ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-06-01 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/06/2016 15:55, slos wrote:
> Le mercredi 1 juin 2016 15:28:11 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
>>
>> So, basically, you need only an SMTP client, right?
 >
> Yes indeed !

OK, I will look into it.

--

@ 2016-06-01 14:52             ` slos
From: slos @ 2016-06-01 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 1 juin 2016 16:12:54 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
> On 01/06/2016 15:55, slos wrote:
> > Le mercredi 1 juin 2016 15:28:11 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
> >>
> >> So, basically, you need only an SMTP client, right?
>  >
> > Yes indeed !
>
> OK, I will look into it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Whaow ! Thanks a lot Dmitry !

You deserve a candle at Fourvière ! ;-)
http://www.fourviere.org/en/

Best Regards,
Stéphane
http://slo-ist.fr

* Re: ANN: Simple Components v4.13 released
@ 2016-06-01 15:54       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2016-06-01 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

> Mister Pascal Obry had one but it seems not available any more :
> http://pobry.blogspot.fr/p/ada-contributions.html

Indeed a broken link. This should now be fixed. Lot of links where dead
in fact. Thanks for reporting.

> It states :
> "SMTP		SMTP est une API Ada permettant d'envoyer des
> messages vers un serveur SMTP."
> But the link is dead :
> http://pascal.obry.pagesperso-orange.fr/archive/smtp.tar.gz
>
> May be because of integration in AWS.

Yes, the SMTP component in AWS is based on this one and has evolved and
been fixed since then. Better use AWS at this stage.

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

* Re: ANN: Simple Components v4.13 released
@ 2016-06-02  0:29     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2016-06-02  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I presume with an ability to service multitude of sockets by a single
> task, one could design a nicely horrendous mail bomber in Ada... (:-))

The Trash-Finder anti-spam engine (which is 100% Ada code) of course handles
SMTP in both directions. It wouldn't have been too hard to add POP3 to it
(never had the need). Whether you consider delivering Ada-Comment mail
"mail-bombing" depends on your perspective! :-)

The use of Ada makes for highly reliable and maintainable code, which is
necessary for anti-spam efforts (the code has to be changed periodically to
deal with new attacks). (And, no, sorry, the code isn't available, as it
would make it easier for spammers to evade it in a targetted attack -- which
quite possibly would turn it into an unintentional spam engine via the
various mailing lists that it filters for.)

                                     Randy.

* Re: ANN: Simple Components v4.13 released
@ 2016-06-02  7:23       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-06-02  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/06/2016 02:29, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote in message
> The use of Ada makes for highly reliable and maintainable code, which is
> necessary for anti-spam efforts (the code has to be changed periodically to
> deal with new attacks). (And, no, sorry, the code isn't available, as it
> would make it easier for spammers to evade it in a targetted attack -- which
> quite possibly would turn it into an unintentional spam engine via the
> various mailing lists that it filters for.)

If you have a machine learning algorithm in it or a hand-made set of
rules, disclosing code would show little. It is the trained system state
that does the job.

Of course, learning as such is inconsistent with reliability,
maintainability etc, but that is another story.

--

@ 2016-06-02 23:16         ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2016-06-02 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 02/06/2016 02:29, Randy Brukardt wrote:
>> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote in message
>> The use of Ada makes for highly reliable and maintainable code, which is
>> necessary for anti-spam efforts (the code has to be changed periodically
>> deal with new attacks). (And, no, sorry, the code isn't available, as it
>> would make it easier for spammers to evade it in a targetted attack --
>> which
>> quite possibly would turn it into an unintentional spam engine via the
>> various mailing lists that it filters for.)
>
> If you have a machine learning algorithm in it or a hand-made set of
> rules, disclosing code would show little. It is the trained system state
> that does the job.

Yes, that's part of it (the white and black lists obviously do a lot of the
work), but there is also the issue of precisely how URLs are detected (for
one example). The less known about that, the better.

> Of course, learning as such is inconsistent with reliability,
> maintainability etc, but that is another story.

I've pretty much concluded that "learning" per-se (that is, automatically
using characteristics of good and bad mail) doesn't work very well in a
corporate environment, which the myriad different users have very different
opinions on what is good and bad mail. For instance, I don't use certain
social networks, banks, and similar services, so any mail purporting to come
from them is almost certainly junk of some sort. That set is personal and
different for any other user of our server (and the filter is intended to be
server-wide).

In any case, since most of the code is Janus/Ada and Claw-specific, it isn't
necessarily going to be that useful for someone else. (I still intend to
port much of it to GNAT on Linux, so it will become more useful when that's
done -- but who knows when I'll get the time and energy to do it.)

                              Randy.

* Re: ANN: Simple Components v4.13 released
@ 2016-06-03  7:11           ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-06-03  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/06/2016 01:16, Randy Brukardt wrote:

> (I still intend to
> port much of it to GNAT on Linux, so it will become more useful when that's
> done -- but who knows when I'll get the time and energy to do it.)

That would be great, especially, if Claw were ported to Linux as well. I
am honestly fed up with GTK and do not believe Qt is any better.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov