From: nasser@apldbio.com (Nasser Abbasi)
To: "Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93" <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Re: Use of the GET_IMMEDIATE and FLUSH procedures in TEXT_IO
Date: 1996/07/17
Date: 1996-07-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

   From: "Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93" <condicma@PWFL.COM>

       Maybe this question has been asked. Sorry if its a "repeat" but I
       couldn't find the answer in the LRM...

       I'm using GNAT 3.04 for Windows NT. It's working very nicely. I
       was trying to implement the garden-variety "<Hit any key to
       continue>" operation and was trying to use the GET_IMMEDIATE
       procedure in TEXT_IO. It seems that the effect is not what one
       would like (as least not running from within an MS-DOS window, and
       I know of no other way to utilize TEXT_IO...<no GUI builder>). The
       call will read a single character, but it hangs, waiting for the
       ENTER key to be hit.

How do you it reads a single character if it hangs?  :)

If used correct it should work, but may be Get_Immediate is not
implemented on NT platform version of Gnat? I seem to rememeber reading
here sometime ago that Get_Immediate might not be implementable on all
platforms. Are you calling it with the parameter Avaliable or not ?
can you show a small code example where you demonstrate it does not work?

       I've tried following this with the FLUSH procedure to no effect.
       (The FLUSH procedure is mysteriously undocumented in the Ada95
       LRM. I wonder why this is?)

There is a mention of flush in the LRM in A.10.1 and A.12.1 (just the call
itself), but the Rational mention more about it in A.4.2 (which is
flushing any data in the output buffer to the output device that has not
 yet been outputed).

       Any clues as to how this is really supposed to operate? Any
       suggestions on implementing the "<Hit any key to continue>"
       operation?

       MDC

It _should_ work as the RM says it should :)

Nasser
--
Nasser Abbasi. C/C++/Ada Solaris. GeneAssist - A client/server application
for Nucleic acid and protein sequence search and analysis.