* GPS Now Failing with Windows 10
@ 2016-04-15 18:01 Eryndlia Mavourneen
From: Eryndlia Mavourneen @ 2016-04-15 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been using GPS and the 2015 libre GnAT for some time now, but recently I have not been able to get GPS to operate correctly.  When I click on the GPS icon, the program is initiated but just sits in memory -- no displayed windows or anything else detectable.  It uses 12 - 14.5Mb in its working set and no CPU.

I am using the Windows 10 Home Insider Preview; however, I have not been able to upgrade for 2-3 months:  When I upgrade, Windows crashes shortly after I log in.  I then have to go back to my current version.  I have removed and reinstalled the GnAT GPL distribution with no discernible effect, and I still can not use it.

Any ideas?

* Re: GPS Now Failing with Windows 10
@ 2016-04-15 18:29 ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2016-04-15 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 11:01:07 AM UTC-7, Eryndlia Mavourneen wrote:
> I have been using GPS and the 2015 libre GnAT for some time now, but recently I have not been able to get GPS to operate correctly.  When I click on the GPS icon, the program is initiated but just sits in memory -- no displayed windows or anything else detectable.  It uses 12 - 14.5Mb in its working set and no CPU.
>
> I am using the Windows 10 Home Insider Preview; however, I have not been able to upgrade for 2-3 months:  When I upgrade, Windows crashes shortly after I log in.  I then have to go back to my current version.  I have removed and reinstalled the GnAT GPL distribution with no discernible effect, and I still can not use it.
>
> Any ideas?

From the release README.txt file, GNAT GPL 2015 was not officially released for Windows 10. Below is the actual released wrt to Windows

PC/x86 and x86_64
 - Windows XP, Windows Vista Business, Windows 7 and Windows 8
 - Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008R2 and 2012

Anh Vo

* Re: GPS Now Failing with Windows 10
@ 2016-04-15 18:55   ` Eryndlia Mavourneen
From: Eryndlia Mavourneen @ 2016-04-15 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 1:29:52 PM UTC-5, Anh Vo wrote:
> On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 11:01:07 AM UTC-7, Eryndlia Mavourneen wrote:
> > I have been using GPS and the 2015 libre GnAT for some time now, but recently I have not been able to get GPS to operate correctly.  When I click on the GPS icon, the program is initiated but just sits in memory -- no displayed windows or anything else detectable.  It uses 12 - 14.5Mb in its working set and no CPU.
> >
> > I am using the Windows 10 Home Insider Preview; however, I have not been able to upgrade for 2-3 months:  When I upgrade, Windows crashes shortly after I log in.  I then have to go back to my current version.  I have removed and reinstalled the GnAT GPL distribution with no discernible effect, and I still can not use it.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> From the release README.txt file, GNAT GPL 2015 was not officially released for Windows 10. Below is the actual released wrt to Windows
>
> PC/x86 and x86_64
>  - Windows XP, Windows Vista Business, Windows 7 and Windows 8
>  - Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008R2 and 2012
>
> Anh Vo

Yes, although I have been using libre 2015 for nearly a year with Windows 10 and have had no problems until recently.

* Re: GPS Now Failing with Windows 10
@ 2016-04-15 19:02     ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2016-04-15 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 11:55:36 AM UTC-7, Eryndlia Mavourneen wrote:
> On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 1:29:52 PM UTC-5, Anh Vo wrote:
> > On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 11:01:07 AM UTC-7, Eryndlia Mavourneen wrote:
> > > I have been using GPS and the 2015 libre GnAT for some time now, but recently I have not been able to get GPS to operate correctly.  When I click on the GPS icon, the program is initiated but just sits in memory -- no displayed windows or anything else detectable.  It uses 12 - 14.5Mb in its working set and no CPU.
> > >
> > > I am using the Windows 10 Home Insider Preview; however, I have not been able to upgrade for 2-3 months:  When I upgrade, Windows crashes shortly after I log in.  I then have to go back to my current version.  I have removed and reinstalled the GnAT GPL distribution with no discernible effect, and I still can not use it.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > From the release README.txt file, GNAT GPL 2015 was not officially released for Windows 10. Below is the actual released wrt to Windows
> >
> > PC/x86 and x86_64
> >  - Windows XP, Windows Vista Business, Windows 7 and Windows 8
> >  - Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008R2 and 2012
> >
> > Anh Vo
>
> Yes, although I have been using libre 2015 for nearly a year with Windows 10 and have had no problems until recently.

I suggest to remove .gps directory then restart GPS. Of course, you will loose all your GPS history.

* Re: GPS Now Failing with Windows 10
@ 2016-04-15 19:56       ` Eryndlia Mavourneen
From: Eryndlia Mavourneen @ 2016-04-15 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 2:02:19 PM UTC-5, Anh Vo wrote:
>> On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 11:55:36 AM UTC-7, Eryndlia Mavourneen wrote:

> > > Yes, although I have been using libre 2015 for nearly a year with  Windows > 10 and have had no problems until recently.

> > I suggest to remove .gps directory then restart GPS. Of course, you will > > loose all your GPS history.

Thank you for the suggestion, Anh.  It is still broken, though.  I also removed GNAT GPL and deleted the GNAT directory then re-installed GNAT GPL to no avail.

I will keep trying different strategies, as I discover them.

-- Eryndlia

* Re: GPS Now Failing with Windows 10
@ 2016-04-15 20:51         ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2016-04-15 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/15/2016 12:56 PM, Eryndlia Mavourneen wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion, Anh.  It is still broken, though.  I also
> removed GNAT GPL and deleted the GNAT directory then re-installed GNAT GPL to
> no avail.
>
> I will keep trying different strategies, as I discover them.

One possibility is to install Linux (such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu) as a
dual-boot, and install the gnat-mingw-w64 compiler on Linux as well as GNAT and
GPS. Then you can build Windows executables using gnat-mingw as well as Linux
executables. (Note that I have never used gnat-mingw-64.)

--
Jeff Carter
"Virgil complains, and he is severely tortured. For

* Re: GPS Now Failing with Windows 10
@ 2016-04-15 21:37           ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-04-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-04-15 22:51, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 04/15/2016 12:56 PM, Eryndlia Mavourneen wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for the suggestion, Anh.  It is still broken, though.  I also
>> removed GNAT GPL and deleted the GNAT directory then re-installed GNAT
>> GPL to no avail.
>>
>> I will keep trying different strategies, as I discover them.
>
> One possibility is to install Linux (such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu) as a
> dual-boot, and install the gnat-mingw-w64 compiler on Linux as well as
> GNAT and GPS. Then you can build Windows executables using gnat-mingw as
> well as Linux executables. (Note that I have never used gnat-mingw-64.)

There is no problem to install MinGW directly on Windows. It has GNAT in.

I doubt it is a GNAT GPS problem. I have Windows 10, fully updated. GNAT
GPL 2015 is working perfectly fine. GPS has some minor glitches, but
they presumably are GTK to blame.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: GPS Now Failing with Windows 10
@ 2016-04-15 21:55 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2016-04-15 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eryndlia Mavourneen" <eryndlia@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am using the Windows 10 Home Insider Preview; however, I have not been
>able to
>upgrade for 2-3 months:  When I upgrade, Windows crashes shortly after I
>log in.  I then
>have to go back to my current version.

I would worry about this rather than worrying about GPS or any of your other
software. If your Windows is somehow damaged such that it cannot upgrade,
that can cause other, weird effects on any installed software.

I certainly would try to figure out the cause of the upgrade problems before
I did much else, as one possibility is malware. (Indeed, I'd seriously
consider wiping the system and doing a clean install if I couldn't fix the
update problems.)

And depending on what you're using the system for, switching to Linux might
be a better choice anyway. For Ada development and basic tasks like browsing
and word processing, Linux works just as well as Windows and doesn't break
as much once you get it working. (No forced obsolence, for one thing.)

                                      Randy.

* Re: GPS Now Failing with Windows 10
@ 2016-04-15 22:10   ` Eryndlia Mavourneen
From: Eryndlia Mavourneen @ 2016-04-15 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

All:  Thank you for the suggestions.  Randy, the clean install is something I may have to do, although I have noticed on the MS website that I am not the only one with this problem.

I have used Linux, and I generally prefer Windows.  I may set up a virtual machine to run Linux as a fallback when I have Windows problems.  I have done this previously at an employer's, and it worked reasonably well.  BTW, it was encouraging to take a non-trivial Ada program that worked in Windows and move it to Linux sans changes and see it work there.

-- Eryndlia