From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Interest in sockets package development
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:16:51 GMT
Date: 2001-09-10T14:16:51+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <9neodq$1vcs$1@msunews.cl.msu.edu>, Chad R. Meiners says...

>I am currently developing a LGPL'ed thick binding for sockets in my spare
>time.  The purpose of this binding is to provide better control of sockets

Bindings should *not* use the LGPL. That license was designed for link
libraries, not compiled-in source code. In some ways it is actually *more*
restrictive than the GPL in this environment.

Most Free binding authors these days use the GPL with exemptions for "with"ing
source, as the Gnat runtime does. This is commonly known as the Gnat-Modified
GPL, or GMGPL. To do this, you just add the standard GPL notice to your source
file headers, but follow it up with this:

-- As a special exception, if other files instantiate generics from this
-- unit, or you link  this unit with other files to produce an executable,
-- this unit does not by itself cause the resulting executable to be
-- covered by the GNU General Public License. This exception does not
-- however invalidate  any other reasons why the executable file might be
-- covered by the GNU Public License.
--

---