From: "James Giles" <jamesgiles@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Shortcut logicals (was: Re: F200x )
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:25:23 GMT
Date: 2005-02-01T18:25:23+00:00	[thread overview]

Dan Nagle wrote:
> J3 often examines the way Ada does something when seeking ideas.
> Personally, I believe Ada is a very well designed language,
> and I'm much more comfortable getting ideas from Ada
> than from many other languages.

Ada has a lot of very useful ideas.  I was against cross-posting
this thread to the Ada group because I had assumed that Ada
would indeed have a perfectly sensible solution to the question,
but it's not necessarily the one Fortran should use.  It turns out
that if Ada does indeed require that the uses of the shortcut
operators (Ada calls them control forms) must parenthesize for
clarity, that is indeed a sensible solution.  It's also one of the
possibilities that occured independently.  Maybe Fortran should
follow suit, but at present the proposed feature solves the problem
differently.  At any rate, the answer hardly needs to concern the
Ada newsgroup anymore, so I for one will not cross-post any
of the further discussion.

--
J. Giles

that there are no obvious deficiencies."   --  C. A. R. Hoare