From: Paul Zacharzewski <gg@mail.oszi.org>
Subject: Re: AuroraUX Combines SunOS with Ada
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:26:53 -0600
Date: 2009-03-16T06:26:53-06:00	[thread overview]

anon wrote:

> Everybody knows that the new "Windows 7" will not be prefect. But are the
> errors embedded so that Microsoft can come out with the next OS version in 3
> years. Or has Microsoft been too cheap in hiring it labor force (programmers
> and testers) to create the new "Windows 7". Or will you find some of the
> fault in the languages that Microsoft used in building "Windows 7".  Only
> time will tell us! Plus, the first reason is illegal.

I don't know if I understand why the first reason would be illegal. If I
were a MS shareholder, I would like knowing that a just released product
would be good enough for everyone to buy, but could be improved enough
so that 3 years down the road, everyone will be excited about W8. Errors
are not intentional, but temporarily ignoring them can be a good
strategy to make your customers await your next product release.

That's why I doubt any company would profit much in creating a 100%
Ada OS. (outside of embedded, or mission critical software)

It would be like going to an auto mechanic and the mechanic tells you "I
just fixed your car. It will never rust, the engine is not due for a
check-up for another 1 million KM and now it's much safer, it is almost
uncrashable."

It is better for an Ada based desktop/server OS to have the ability to
run code written in other languages. Otherwise you would have to
re-write software which is not essential to the running of the OS but is
essential to the OS being useful (Firefox as an example).

But starting from scratch and writing everything in 100% Ada is far more
difficult than using an existing project and replacing elements until a
100% Ada OS is achieved. Unix has been developed since the early 70's.
The BSD's have been around since the 80's. Linux has been around since
the 90's. Time-tested designs would help the developer to not re-invent
the wheel while also having to re-write it. I think developing from
scratch would be far more labor-intensive and error-prone.