* Confidential
@ 2002-10-26 20:38 adaobim
From: adaobim @ 2002-10-26 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Attn: Sir,

It is with heart full of hope that I write to seek your help in the context below. I am Mr. Mr.Maxwell Ibu, the Personal Assistant to the late Nigerian former Sport Minister, Late Mr. Mark Aku, who until his death in a domestic plane crash weeks before the Japan / Korea world cup was the Minister of Youth and Sports in the present dispensation.

Having gotten your particulars through the Internet in my search for a trustworthy foreigner who will help me carry out the project I am about to tell you. I have no doubt about your custody (for safety) the sum US$15 Million deposited in my favor in a Security Company by my late boss before his untimely death.

The money was part of the funds release for Nigerian Super Eagles participation in the companionship by Present Democratic Government and major companies in Nigeria but my Boss Late Mr. Mark Aku diverted the fund in order to finance has ambition to contest for gubernatorial
Election come 2003 but death took him away.

This money he deposited in a security company as personal effect in my favor without the knowledge of any other person till date, meanwhile, the government has tried their best in their search for the money but my situation has been so terrible as I had to loose my job and as I am writing you, I am virtually living on assistance of well- wishers.

The investigation teams have submitted their report, and the case closed, that was why I am looking for a foreigner who will help me to secure the fund and invest it on a long time project pending when I will meet him up.

In view of this plight therefore, I expect you to be trustworthy and kind enough to respond to this, I will compensate your sincere and candid effort in these regards with 20% of the fund when you finally receive the money.

I have perfected arrangement on the successful transfer of the fund and if you are interested to help me, kindly respond through this box or my alternative the email. Please provide me with your telephone and fax number for your easier communication.

You are equally guaranteed 100% risk free and smooth transfer. I look forward to your quick response.

May God bless you

Regards,

Mr.Maxwell Ibu.
Reply to Maxibu@lycos.com

* Re: Confidential
@ 2002-10-26 20:59 ` Jim Rogers
From: Jim Rogers @ 2002-10-26 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a well documented scam.

In the last month I have received many similar mailings claiming to
be from a Nigerian official. Save your money. Do not participate in this
rip off.

Jim Rogers

* Re: Confidential
@ 2002-10-26 22:31   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-10-26 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In the last month I have received many similar mailings claiming to
> be from a Nigerian official. Save your money. Do not participate in this
> rip off.

Indeed.  I first encountered them in 1986, when they were sent by
Telex or TWX.  Nigeria is (in)famous for this type of scam.

* Re: Confidential
@ 2002-10-27  0:46     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-10-27  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Telex or TWX.  Nigeria is (in)famous for this type of scam.
  I heard a segment on the radio about it.  It's called the 490 scam (or
some such number) after the section of the Nigerian legal code that
outlaws it.  There are versions where it's an American soldier in
Afghanistan who stumbled on some booty, instead of a Nigerian official.
It got started in the Midwest a hundred years ago as the "Sir Francis
Drake" scam - somebody in England was going to get you a share in the
treasure Queen Elizabeth took from him.  So far as I know, there's
not yet a version that has anything to do with Ada....

* Re: Confidential
@ 2002-10-27  1:07   ` Christopher Browne
From: Christopher Browne @ 2002-10-27  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Rogers <jimmaureenrogers@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> This is a well documented scam.
>
> In the last month I have received many similar mailings claiming to
> be from a Nigerian official. Save your money. Do not participate in this
> rip off.

I get several every /day/.

The US Secret Service apparently has a group specializing in the
Nigerian scams; there are apparently enough gullible people to make it
a problem...

Just tell them that if they wrote their banking software in Ada, the
transfer wouldn't have been a problem :-).
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/finances.html

* Re: Confidential
@ 2002-10-27  1:16       ` Christopher Browne
From: Christopher Browne @ 2002-10-27  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>> Telex or TWX.  Nigeria is (in)famous for this type of scam.
>   I heard a segment on the radio about it.  It's called the 490 scam (or
> some such number) after the section of the Nigerian legal code that
> outlaws it.

It's "409", not "490."

And it appears that a substantial portion of Nigerian government
officials are actively involved in the scam.

> There are versions where it's an American soldier in Afghanistan who
> stumbled on some booty, instead of a Nigerian official.  It got
> started in the Midwest a hundred years ago as the "Sir Francis
> Drake" scam - somebody in England was going to get you a share in
> the treasure Queen Elizabeth took from him.  So far as I know,
> there's not yet a version that has anything to do with Ada....

I've seen versions involving Sierra Leone, South Africa, Kenya, and
the Congo.

Apparently they have flown people to Nigeria to show them vaults full
of gold to suck them into bigger participation.  (That's only
worthwhile when the "suckee" has Great Gobs of Money available to be
scammed, of course.)

It seems hard to believe that there would be anyone left that /hasn't/
heard that it's a scam.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html

* Re: Confidential
@ 2002-10-27  6:02       ` Advance Australia Dear
From: Advance Australia Dear @ 2002-10-27  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

 tmoran@acm.org , an acolyte of Cthulu the True God wrote:

>treasure Queen Elizabeth took from him.  So far as I know, there's
>not yet a version that has anything to do with Ada....

How about an Ada variant with a mysterious letter from the DOD about
how if you give them your banking details, they will force everyone to
use Ada again ?

* Re: Confidential
@ 2002-10-27 15:52     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-10-27 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <apfe8k$1371l$1@ID-125932.news.dfncis.de>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
> Jim Rogers <jimmaureenrogers@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> This is a well documented scam.
>>
>> In the last month I have received many similar mailings claiming to
>> be from a Nigerian official. Save your money. Do not participate in this
>> rip off.
>
> I get several every /day/.
>
> The US Secret Service apparently has a group specializing in the
> Nigerian scams; there are apparently enough gullible people to make it
> a problem...

If you are in the US, you can forward such mail to:

	419.fcd@usss.treas.gov

The name "419 scam" comes from the chapter of the Nigerian civil code
which prohibits it.

* Re: Confidential
@ 2002-10-28 12:30         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-10-28 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

How many proverbs are out there concerning this? "If it sounds too good to
be true, it probably is." "There's a sucker born every minute." (P.T.
Barnum) Whoever these bozos are, *somebody* must occasionally fall into
their net or they'd give up. But the reason we've got all those proverbs out
there is because there's always someone stupid and greedy enough to be
cheated.

Here's a pop quiz:

"A ___________ and his ____________ are soon partying."

:-)

MDC
Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jast.mil/

Send Replies To: m c o n d i c @ a c m . o r g

    "I'd trade it all for just a little more"
        --  Charles Montgomery Burns, [4F10]

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote in message

> It seems hard to believe that there would be anyone left that /hasn't/
> heard that it's a scam.

* Re: Confidential
@ 2002-10-30  5:00     ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2002-10-30  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." wrote:

> Indeed.  I first encountered them in 1986, when they were sent by
> Telex or TWX.  Nigeria is (in)famous for this type of scam.

Nothing to do with Ada, but this country is also (in)famous for
stoning women to death for pettry offenses.  Too bad.   The
original founders of Nigeria began with such promise.