From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Z80 trst circuit
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:58:37 -0600
Date: 2016-01-28T15:58:37-06:00	[thread overview]

"Luke A. Guest" <laguest@archeia.com> wrote in message
news:652916932.475662642.036346.laguest-archeia.com@nntp.aioe.org...
> Randy Brukardt <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:
>> "erlo" <erlo@valid.not> wrote in message

>>> What is the Ada angle on this?
>>
>> ?? Janus/Ada 83 targeted CP/M Z80 machines back when they were common
>> (that
>> was our first commercial compiler, as the IBM PC and MS-DOS hadn't been
>> introduced yet -- showing my age, I guess ;-). So it's certainly possible
>> program in Ada on such machines, but I don't know if anyone has done so
>> in
>> decades (I think we stopped selling
>
> I reckon it'd be doable with GNAT, someone ported GCC to the 6502 ffs!
> That's got less registers than the Z80, but it does use zero page in STAM
> for virtual registers, which a AFAICT can't be used on Z80.
>
> I also think using pragma restrictions heavily here would help, also other
> pragma a for restricting what gets generated, ie names.
>
> Do you have Any advice re this?

Not really. Ada 2012 is way different than the subset of Ada 83 that we had
on the Z80. I don't remember off-hand precisely what Ada features were
available on that compiler; I know we had some software floating point, and
certainly not any tasking. But certainly there wasn't anything like tagged
types, or dispatching, or preconditions.

                                                        Randy.