From: "Alejandro R. Mosteo" <alejandro@mosteo.com>
Subject: Re: an idea to make Ada popular: Aython?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 19:51:38 +0100
Date: 2016-01-24T19:51:38+01:00	[thread overview]

On 24/01/16 18:14, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 01/24/2016 01:10 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
>>
>> Any thoughts? Will this be the magic trick to make Ada popular? Could
>> this work for Ada? Do you see any technical reasons why this
>> might not work for Ada as it does for Fortran?
>
> What makes you think it's working for Fortran? A "lot of discussion on"
> comp.lang.fortran doesn't mean it's made Fortran more popular, just that it's
> generated discussion among those already using Fortran.
>
> But even if it works for Fortran, I doubt it would help Ada. As I've said
> before, Ada is a S/W-engineering language. Since 98% of developers aren't S/W
> engineers, nothing will make S/W-engineering languages popular.

Something I sorely miss when writing Ada is a state-of-the art IDE,
namely, something like Android Studio. Despite the notable progress made
by GPS, frankly, AS/Intellij/Clion are in another league in terms of
comfort for the programmer. The latter in particular makes almost
bearable to code in C++. Personal feelings of course ;)

It may seem a minutia, but for someone coming from another language,
piling on top of the uneasiness of novelty a dated IDE is not going to
help. And this is one of these things it's horribly easy to get used to.
I've been thoroughly spoilt.

Of course this does not apply to those that don't rely on IDEs (I was
one of them, I used to do all my coding with vim and a couple of plugins).