* Programming error' caused Russian rocket failure
@ 2010-12-06 18:06 Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2010-12-06 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101206/wl_asia_afp/russiaspacescience

This appeared on Yahoo news. I saw it today. Hopefully, some one will
share with the group the relevant knowledge regarding this subject.

Anh Vo

* Re: Programming error' caused Russian rocket failure
@ 2010-12-09  9:41 ` comp.lang.c++.moderated
From: comp.lang.c++.moderated @ 2010-12-09  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 дек, 21:06, Anh Vo <anhvofrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101206/wl_asia_afp/russiaspacescience
>
> This appeared on Yahoo news. I saw it today. Hopefully, some one will
> share with the group the relevant knowledge regarding this subject.
>
> Anh Vo

What else would you expect from an ancient (>30 years old) technology?

* Re: Programming error' caused Russian rocket failure
@ 2010-12-09 10:41   ` Frédéric Praca
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Frédéric Praca @ 2010-12-09 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 01:41:57 -0800, comp.lang.c++.moderated wrote:

> On 6 дек, 21:06, Anh Vo <anhvofrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101206/wl_asia_afp/russiaspacescience
>>
>> This appeared on Yahoo news. I saw it today. Hopefully, some one will
>> share with the group the relevant knowledge regarding this subject.
>>
>> Anh Vo
>
> What else would you expect from an ancient (>30 years old) technology?

Don't know, running maybe as many other technologies did in the past ?

* Re: Programming error' caused Russian rocket failure
@ 2010-12-09 12:34   ` Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2010-12-09 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/9/2010 1:41 AM, comp.lang.c++.moderated wrote:
> On 6 дек, 21:06, Anh Vo<anhvofrc...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101206/wl_asia_afp/russiaspacescience
>>
>> This appeared on Yahoo news. I saw it today. Hopefully, some one will
>> share with the group the relevant knowledge regarding this subject.
>>
>> Anh Vo
>

> What else would you expect from an ancient (>30 years old) technology?

It looks like they did not run enough simulations and testing of the
software.  ANy one knows what language was used?

--Nasser

* Re: Programming error' caused Russian rocket failure
@ 2010-12-09 17:33   ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2010-12-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 9, 1:41 am, "comp.lang.c++.moderated" <pyf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 дек, 21:06, Anh Vo <anhvofrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101206/wl_asia_afp/russiaspacescience
>
> > This appeared on Yahoo news. I saw it today. Hopefully, some one will
> > share with the group the relevant knowledge regarding this subject.
>
> What else would you expect from an ancient (>30 years old) technology?

Why does it fail now but not before? Old technology is not
neccessarily translated to failure. After all, the Russian has good
record, although not the best, when it comes to space technology.

* Re: Programming error' caused Russian rocket failure
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-12-09 17:49   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2010-12-09 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 9, 9:41 am, "comp.lang.c++.moderated" <pyf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 дек, 21:06, Anh Vo <anhvofrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101206/wl_asia_afp/russiaspacescience
>
> > This appeared on Yahoo news. I saw it today. Hopefully, some one will
> > share with the group the relevant knowledge regarding this subject.
>
> > Anh Vo
>
> What else would you expect from an ancient (>30 years old) technology?

You are confusing "newer" with "better"...

-- Martin

* Re: Programming error' caused Russian rocket failure
@ 2010-12-12 19:24     ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2010-12-12 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 09:49:14 -0800 (PST), Martin <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com>
wrote:

>On Dec 9, 9:41�am, "comp.lang.c++.moderated" <pyf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 ???, 21:06, Anh Vo <anhvofrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101206/wl_asia_afp/russiaspacescience
>>
>> > This appeared on Yahoo news. I saw it today. Hopefully, some one will
>> > share with the group the relevant knowledge regarding this subject.
>>
>> > Anh Vo
>>
>> What else would you expect from an ancient (>30 years old) technology?
>
>You are confusing "newer" with "better"...

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/10protonrtf/

Apparently "newer" it was - but without updating the fueling instructions...

- Brian