From: "Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr>
Subject: Re: Renaming of enumeration constant
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:25:42 +0200
Date: 2004-06-11T11:25:42+02:00	[thread overview]

> My own opinion is that constants are silly in Ada, but they were introduced
> in Ada 83 (and its predecessors), long before the question of inheritance
> was understood to be important.
Sorry, but this statement is wrong.
Before he wrote the LIS compiler (one of Ada's ancestors), Ichbiah was famous for writing the first Simula compiler in France. He
understood perfectly well inheritance. The absence of inheritance in Ada 83 was deliberate, and derived types were introduced in
Ada83 because Ichbiah insisted on it, due to his previous experience.

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)