From: "G.B." <bauhaus@futureapps.invalid>
Subject: Re: Where Should as (Assembler) Be?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 14:11:50 +0100
Date: 2015-11-12T14:11:50+01:00	[thread overview]

On 12.11.15 02:16, Charles H. Sampson wrote:
> <briot.emmanuel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> xcode-select --install    should do it.
>>
>> I don't know which version will be installed on OS X 10.5.8, but new
>> versions of Apple's assembler no longer support some of the assembly
>> instructions emitted by gcc, so it is best if you can install a slightly
>> older version.
>
> Thanks for your help, but I don't understand this. Is it a Unix (Darwin)
> command-line command?

Yes,

DESCRIPTION
        xcode-select  controls  the  location  of  the developer
directory used by xcrun(1), xcodebuild(1), cc(1), and other Xcode
and BSD development tools. This also controls the locations that are
searched for by man(1) for developer tool manpages.

> If so, what is the environment? I've tried it from
> my home directory and get a "command not found" message.

I think there always was a command for selecting a version
of Apple's development tools, if installed. But the name may
have been different, I don't remember exactly; if it did
include "select" as a substring, then running the command

$ apropos select | grep '(1)'

should list it.