From: Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP>
Subject: Re: Can I get rid of C libraries dependencies?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:44:25 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2015-09-16T13:44:25+00:00	[thread overview]

On 2015-09-16, Leff Ivanov <droiddermo@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I want to achive is a tiny 2kb binary executable
> with a single function called as entry point (which is
> defined in Ada and called Main procedure). The pragma
> on top let me get rid of the huge RTL code that is written
> in Ada. However I'm still getting a lot of code linked
> in from C libraries, so...
>
> 1) Can I get rid of the C code linked in?
> 2) What is implemented in thoose C libraries?
> 3) Can I use Ada's RTL library without the C
>    support code, if I use some Restrictions?

The basic problem here is that the C API _is_ considered to be the
interface to the OS for this kind of thing on Linux/Unix and
(these days) probably Windows as well[*].

Unless you call the operating system services directly then at
some level either you, or the Ada RTL acting on your behalf, has
to call the C API.

It is possible to call the OS services directly (once you understand
how the interface is implemented for each OS and architecture
combination), but is this really a road that it's wise to do down ?

Simon.

[*] I have a VMS background and it's a lot easier to do this kind
of thing there. Unfortunately, I doubt you are running VMS. :-)