From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Creating an empty file with Ada.Text_IO
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:22:38 -0500
Date: 2015-08-24T17:22:38-05:00	[thread overview]

"AdaMagica" <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:9ea096fc-26f0-48c4-9be9-4a6466506ef4@googlegroups.com...
> Sequential_ and Direct_IO might also work.

For question 1, surely. For question 2, probably too much mess.

More generally, Text_IO is for processing files in an
implementation-determined format. (And that's true to some extent for
Sequential_IO and Direct_IO as well.) If you actually care about the bits in
the file (as you might when writing a file for some other program), only
Stream_IO gives the needed control.

For example, the Janus/Ada compiler only uses our in-house Basic_IO package
for file I/O (we invented Basic_IO for Ada 83; if we were starting today
we'd use Stream_IO which has essentially the same capabilities). The
standard I/O packages just didn't work for our needs, even though we
implemented them ourselves. They had too much overhead and too little
control.

                                 Randy.