* Is AWS a web server?
@ 2015-07-31 20:04 EGarrulo
From: EGarrulo @ 2015-07-31 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may seem a dumb question, but the documentation of AWS states that "AWS is not a Web Server like IIS or Apache, it is a component to embedded HTTP protocol in an application."  On the other hand, the Gem #29 says that "Common usages [for AWS] are: - To develop a full Web application."  Hence, can you employ AWS to develop a Web application that faces the Internet, or not?  Any direct experiences and/or recommendations?  Thank you.

* Re: Is AWS a web server?
@ 2015-07-31 20:35 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2015-07-31 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

EGarrulo writes:
> This may seem a dumb question, but the documentation of AWS states
> that "AWS is not a Web Server like IIS or Apache, it is a component to
> embedded HTTP protocol in an application."  On the other hand, the Gem
> #29 says that "Common usages [for AWS] are: - To develop a full Web
> application."  Hence, can you employ AWS to develop a Web application
> that faces the Internet, or not?  Any direct experiences and/or
> recommendations?  Thank you.

AWS is *part* of a web server.  You can use AWS to write a full
internet-facing web application; in this case AWS is embedded (or
dynamically linked) into your program and your program *is* the web
server.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Is AWS a web server?
@ 2015-07-31 20:49 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2015-07-31 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/31/2015 01:04 PM, EGarrulo wrote:
> This may seem a dumb question, but the documentation of AWS states that "AWS
> is not a Web Server like IIS or Apache, it is a component to embedded HTTP
> protocol in an application."  On the other hand, the Gem #29 says that
> "Common usages [for AWS] are: - To develop a full Web application."  Hence,
> can you employ AWS to develop a Web application that faces the Internet, or
> not?  Any direct experiences and/or recommendations?  Thank you.

AWS is a framework that is used to develop applications that can be interacted
with over the internet. One such application is, of course, a web server.

I worked on a good-sized, soft-real-time, distributed system that was accessed
over the internet using AWS. It required  a fair amount of JS; the error rate in
the JS was significantly higher than the Ada. Both AWS and Annex E imposed
architectural constraints on the system. Today Gnoga would probably be a better
choice; it would eliminate the JS.

--
Jeff Carter
"I'm a kike, a yid, a heebie, a hook nose! I'm Kosher,

* Re: Is AWS a web server?
@ 2015-07-31 21:24 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2015-07-31 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 31/07/2015 22:04, EGarrulo a écrit :
> This may seem a dumb question, but the documentation of AWS states
> that "AWS is not a Web Server like IIS or Apache, it is a component
> to embedded HTTP protocol in an application."  On the other hand, the
> Gem #29 says that "Common usages [for AWS] are: - To develop a full
> Web application."  Hence, can you employ AWS to develop a Web
> application that faces the Internet, or not?  Any direct experiences
> and/or recommendations?  Thank you.

Adalog's site (see URL below) is powered by an Ada program with AWS.

So were the Ada-Europe 2014 and 2015 sites (including on line
registration that used the SQLite interface in addition)

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Is AWS a web server?
@ 2015-08-01  9:51   ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2015-08-01  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 22:35:00 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> EGarrulo writes:
>> This may seem a dumb question, but the documentation of AWS states that
>> "AWS is not a Web Server like IIS or Apache, it is a component to
>> embedded HTTP protocol in an application."  On the other hand, the Gem
>> #29 says that "Common usages [for AWS] are: - To develop a full Web
>> application."  Hence, can you employ AWS to develop a Web application
>> that faces the Internet, or not?  Any direct experiences and/or
>> recommendations?  Thank you.
>
> AWS is *part* of a web server.  You can use AWS to write a full
> internet-facing web application; in this case AWS is embedded (or
> dynamically linked) into your program and your program *is* the web
> server.

To be more specific, AWS plus about ten lines of wrapper code form a very
simple very basic webserver.

The AWS demo programs illustrate this, and how to grow it to add more
features as you need, adapting them is an easy way to get started.

-- Brian

* Re: Is AWS a web server?
@ 2015-08-01 16:23   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2015-08-01 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le vendredi 31 juillet 2015 à 13:49 -0700, Jeffrey R. Carter a écrit :
> I worked on a good-sized, soft-real-time, distributed system that was
> accessed
> over the internet using AWS. It required  a fair amount of JS; the
> error rate in
> the JS was significantly higher than the Ada. Both AWS and Annex E
> imposed
> architectural constraints on the system. Today Gnoga would probably
> be a better
> choice; it would eliminate the JS.

Using the Ajax and Web_Block support in AWS you should not have to
write JS at all. Maybe for some very specific actions. For example the
v2p.fr.eu.org Web site has a single JS routine (3 or 4 lines) if I
remember correctly.

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

* Re: Is AWS a web server?
@ 2015-08-01 17:55     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2015-08-01 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/01/2015 09:23 AM, Pascal Obry wrote:

> Using the Ajax and Web_Block support in AWS you should not have to
> write JS at all. Maybe for some very specific actions. For example the
> v2p.fr.eu.org Web site has a single JS routine (3 or 4 lines) if I
> remember correctly.

I think Ajax didn't exist when the system was started. There was talk of
transitioning to it when I left the project. There was also a lot of HTML
generated from templates, which something like Gnoga also eliminates.

--
Jeff Carter
"I don't know why I ever come in here. The