From: Tero Koskinen <tero.koskinen@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: ANN:  GNAT GPL 2015 Atmel SAM4S Ravenscar patches
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 20:47:24 +0300
Date: 2015-07-29T20:47:24+03:00	[thread overview]

29.7.2015, 9:57, Simon Wright kirjoitti:
> Patrick Noffke <patrick.noffke@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> A makefile and patches be found here:
>> https://github.com/patricknoffke/ada-mcu
>>
>> I have added runtime support for various peripherals, with BSD
>> 3-Clause license.
>
> It appears that you have (maybe not completely consistently) altered
> AdaCore's copyright notices, added in an FSF copyright notice, and added
> back the GCC Runtime Library Exception. I don't think you're entitled to
> do those things.

Do you mean sections like this:
https://github.com/patricknoffke/ada-mcu/blob/master/bb-runtimes-gpl-2015.patch#L4164
?

I think Patrick's patch is done correctly. He has basically rewritten
the files, only the filenames (and some function names) are same, which
is why the diff shows stuff that way.

However, issues/questions like this ("did you really modify GPL
code/remove the copyright headers?") show that it is a bad idea to base
any of the work on GNAT GPL. Also, new work should use separate files,
not just a huge patch which replaces the old files.

So, Patrick should probably rebase his work on top of FSF GNAT and
include Atmel SAM4S specific code in a dedicated source directory.

Here are my examples for STM32F4:
https://bitbucket.org/tkoskine/gnat-arm-app-skeleton/src/ab141a07860925a7c19d333c30b6084a041d9325?at=default
https://bitbucket.org/tkoskine/embedded-arm-gnat-rts/src/128d104166de?at=default
https://bitbucket.org/tkoskine/embedded-arm-gnat-build/src

GNAT build script (and possible patches) is in one repository
(embedded-arm-gnat-build). GNAT Ada runtime is in another repository
(embedded-arm-gnat-rts), and STM32F4 peripheral code is in the third
repository (gnat-arm-app-skeleton).

You could probably use same repository for all pieces, but you need to
put them in separate directories at least.

Yours,
  Tero