From: "Wannabe h4x0r" <chris@dont.spam.me>
Subject: Re: Ada95 on Plan9/Inferno
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:33:06 GMT
Date: 2001-10-28T17:33:06+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <20011028085136.A29500-100000@shell5.ba.best.com>, "Brian
Rogoff" <bpr@shell5.ba.best.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Clueless wrote:
>> Lately I've been seriously considering developing some apps for the
>> Plan9 and Inferno Operating system platforms.
>
> What is the market for Plan9/Inferno like? What's the composition of the
> user community?
>
> I looked at some of the online docs a while ago and I thought the Dis VM
> was timely considering the whole Java explosion. Too bad Sun hype was
> better.
>
> It seems that most of the VMs map relatively closely to Ada 95
> constructs. I wonder if this is related to the efforts during the design
> of Ada 95 to efficiently implementable (with current technology of
> course) building blocks, or if its something more mundane, like the fact
> that the VMs all look like Java, which isn't too far from Ada?
>
> It would be cool to have Ada on the JVM, .NET CLR, and running atop the
> Inferno on their virtual machine too. Ada could be the Queen of the
> Virtual Machine.
>
> Sorry, no real information.
>
> -- Brian

The thing that I really like about the Plan9/Inferno environments is
complete network/hardware/et... transparency. I can divide up my network
into a file server, CPU server, et... and make it look like one big
computer if I want to.(The Amoeba OS goes even further in that regard,
but I digress.) Even Java and .NET dont provide the kind of
transparency one finds in the Plan9 environment. Everything looks
(at least to the user) like one big computer. Completely eliminating
the need for a "client/server" architecture for alot of applications.
(Although NOT all apps. AFAIK)

It seems like Ada95 would fit quite nicely into this type of
environment. Heck, the Distributed Systems Annex already appears to
embody many of the Plan9/Inferno/Limbo principles.

If there is no compiler available, I wonder how difficult a GNAT port
would be. Just curious.

McDoobie
chris@dont.spam.me