From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Incomplete types used with generics
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 20:43:54 -0500
Date: 2015-05-11T20:43:54-05:00	[thread overview]

"Jeremiah" <jeremiah.breeden@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:830c0323-a06c-4884-9214-89f3ee6f17b5@googlegroups.com...
> One of the things I read about with ada2012 is the ability to use
> incomplete types
> as generic parameters. However, I am having some trouble implementing
> them.

> What am I missing?

You missed at least 6 months of wrestling with various AdaCore people about
this feature, specifically over some proposed ACATS tests. (Most of the
tests showed lovely GNAT bug boxes.) They were trying very hard to find
reasons that the tests were illegal, because there was an problem with the
design of their implementation that made the tests very hard to implement.
They managed to uncover some language problems that will probably be fixed
someday, but in particular, everyone eventually agreed that the test using
limited with (CC51010) is correct (now). I've heard that they've fixed the
compiler so that test works, so you'll probably be able to get that to work
at some future point (but surely not with GNAT GPL 2014, which clearly
predates the fixes).

I suspect that you ran afoul of the fact that the freezing rules differ for
tagged incomplete vs. untagged incomplete types, but even if you fixed that
you'd still be very likely to run into problems with current GNAT versions
unless you are a GNAT PRO user and can get a wavefront.

I'd suggest trying this again next year.

                                Randy.