From: mheaney@ni.net (Matthew Heaney)
Subject: Re: Address to function pointer conversion
Date: 1997/06/24
Date: 1997-06-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.866852244@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:

><<Thank you Robert, that answers my question.  I didn't know whether this
>pragma was available for access-to-subprogram types.  (I was making an
>informed guess.)
> >>

>It is obviously not *required* to be available, but it likely will work fine.
>If it is rejected, this is a red flag that the interface will not work.

I'm confused by this answer.  Do you mean

If it is accepted, then it is guaranteed to work.

or do you mean

If it is accepted, it is not guaranteed to work, but is still likely to
work anyway.

When you say "but it will likely will work fine," are you describing the
case when the pragma is accepted?  Or that "it will likely work fine" even
if the pragma isn't accepted?

I'm confused because if the pragma is accepted, "likely is work fine" isn't
how I would like to see it described.  I'd rather you say, "If the pragma
is accepted, then it is guaranteed to work."  Having something compile
without error, and then describing that program as "likely to work" doesn't
give one a high degree of confidence, n'est-ce pas?

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271