* Re: ADA and Pascal work, C,C++,
@ 1997-11-07  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <97110709415835@psavax.pwfl.com>, "Marin David Condic,
561.796.8997, M/S 731-96" <condicma@PWFL.COM> wrote:

>    Ada83 did not have all of the OOFeatures that would qualify it to
>    be OO, but it pre-dated the invention of that paradigm.

That's stretching.  The first object-oriented language (I think) was Simula
67.  That's the language that coined the term "class."

Actually, Jean Ichbiah and his colleagues were very familiar with the
paradigm, having written Simula compilers.  Depending on who you ask, the
reason Ichbiah didn't include full object-orientation (type-extension) in
Ada 83 was either

o he felt inheritance was too complex, and the language didn't need it, or

o he wanted to include inheritance, but didn't think anyone would approve
of such a radical idea

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271

* Re: ADA and Pascal work, C,C++,
@ 1997-11-07  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Stevens <jstevens@SAMOYED.FTC.NRCS.USDA.GOV> writes:

>The one huge advantage C++ has over Ada, is that C++ is at least
>semi-object oriented.  Ada isn't.

    This is not entirely accurate. I know that C++ was invented in the
    early days of OOP as a means of expressing OOConcepts. But I am
    not terribly familiar with it, so I can't attest to how purely it
    implements OO. However, Ada is *very* object oriented, supporting
    all of the major aspects of OOP. It may not *force* this paradigm
    on all programs (you can still write Adatran if you like) as some
    languages do, but if you understand OO and want to develop that
    way, all the features you need are there.

    Ada83 did not have all of the OOFeatures that would qualify it to
    be OO, but it pre-dated the invention of that paradigm. (It also
    contributed to the development of the concept with many of its new
    features.) Ada95, OTOH, learned a lot from C++ et alia and is, in
    fact, fully OO.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     Voice:     561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-96, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:       561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:  CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
    "Some people say a front-engine car handles best. Some people say
    a rear-engine car handles best. I say a rented car handles best."
        --  P. J. O'Rourke