From: mheaney@ni.net (Matthew Heaney)
Subject: Re: ADA and Pascal work, C,C++,
Date: 1997/11/07
Date: 1997-11-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <97110709415835@psavax.pwfl.com>, "Marin David Condic,
561.796.8997, M/S 731-96" <condicma@PWFL.COM> wrote:

>    Ada83 did not have all of the OOFeatures that would qualify it to
>    be OO, but it pre-dated the invention of that paradigm.

That's stretching.  The first object-oriented language (I think) was Simula
67.  That's the language that coined the term "class."

Actually, Jean Ichbiah and his colleagues were very familiar with the
paradigm, having written Simula compilers.  Depending on who you ask, the
reason Ichbiah didn't include full object-orientation (type-extension) in
Ada 83 was either

o he felt inheritance was too complex, and the language didn't need it, or

o he wanted to include inheritance, but didn't think anyone would approve
of such a radical idea

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>