* Re: What are Ada file extensions?
@ 1997-11-04  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <345EE381.799B@xperts.hu>, Guest <guest@xperts.hu> wrote:

>What filename extensions Ada source files have? GNAT uses .ada, .adb,
>.ads, but as I know there are many implementation with many set of
>filename extensions.

The notion of "files" is outside of the RM, so it's not quite correct to
speak about the filename extensions that "Ada" source files have.  It
definately depends on the compilation environment.

Note that some compilers, as GNAT or DEC Ada, can take file names other
than their default.

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271

* What are Ada file extensions?
@ 1997-11-04  0:00 Guest
From: Guest @ 1997-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What filename extensions Ada source files have? GNAT uses .ada, .adb,
.ads, but as I know there are many implementation with many set of
filename extensions.

Thanks a lot,

Gabor Varga

* Re: What are Ada file extensions?
@ 1997-11-04  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gabor says

<<What filename extensions Ada source files have? GNAT uses .ada, .adb,
.ads, but as I know there are many implementation with many set of
filename extensions.>>

First of all, this is, as you suggest most definitely an issue of
implementations. The Ada language itself has no concept of Ada
"source files". The decision to store sources in files is an
implementation dependent one.

As for extensions, again implementations differ. Contrary to the statement
above, GNAT allows arbitrary extensions to be used (the default is .ads
for a spec and .adb for a body, but these defaults can be overridden
using the Source_File_Name pragma and the -x ada switch for gcc.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: What are Ada file extensions?
@ 1997-11-08  0:00 ` TConiam
From: TConiam @ 1997-11-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>What filename extensions Ada source files have? GNAT uses .ada, .adb,
>.ads, but as I know there are many implementation with many set of
>filename extensions.

I have seen used:

.ads  .adb
_s.ada  .ada, _s.a  .a
.ADA  .ada

I have also seen .gen and .adg for generics, and .ada for standalone
 subprograms.

As you can see their is no standard.  Use what works best with your
 compiler/development environment/mindset.

My preferences are with .ads .adb.

Todd Coniam
Member, Team Ada