From: mheaney@ni.net (Matthew Heaney)
Subject: Re: Assertion Error
Date: 1998/02/02
Date: 1998-02-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6b3oi8$osq$1@gte1.gte.net>, "Larry Torres"
<ltorres@networkmachines.com> wrote:

>Got a problem:
>
>  When compiling code being ported from another platform, we get an
>"assertion error".   We are using the Rational VADS system on Solaris.   Can
>someone explain to me what the meaning is and what we might  possibly do to
>remedy the problem?

It means you found a compiler bug.

The Rational compiler is a computer program, like any other.  A common
technique is to insert an assertion in the code, to assert that the state
has a specific value.  You do this to catch things you missed, or to catch
changes that occur during maintenance.  The code looks something like this:

procedure Op (...) is
begin
   <do some stuff that changes the state>
   Assert (X = 10);

X should have the value 10; if it doesn't, then something is seriously
wrong, and you want to know about it.  The subprogram Assert will raise the
exception Assertion_Error, because the predicate is false.

Figure which module is causing the compiler to crash, and report the error
to a Rationale representative.  Then get them to fix their compiler.  You
paid probably 20K+ for that environment, so you have the right to expect
that it works!