* Good Ada95 book for Real-Time?
@ 1997-01-20  0:00 Neil Turner
From: Neil Turner @ 1997-01-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone recommend a book which covers tasks and real-time
programming.

To date, the books I have seen are too general or simply introductions
to Ada95 that omit and discussion of tasks and programming in the
real-time domain.

best regards

Neil Turner

* Re: Good Ada95 book for Real-Time?
@ 1997-01-21  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1997-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

How about "Concurrency in Ada" by Alan Burns and Andy Wellings, published
by Cambridge University Press -- ISBN 0-521-41471-7?
--
David C. Hoos, Sr.,
http://www.dbhwww.com

Neil Turner <njt@worlds-edge.u-net.com> wrote in article
<5c0t14$iuq$1@despair.u-net.net>...

@ 1997-01-24  0:00   ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bc0745$8dd64920$098c71a5@dhoossr.iquest.com>, "David C. Hoos,
Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:

>How about "Concurrency in Ada" by Alan Burns and Andy Wellings, published
>by Cambridge University Press -- ISBN 0-521-41471-7?

Yes: that is the book he should read.

The same authors also wrote Real-Time Systems and Their Progamming
Languages, 2nd ed, Addison-Wesley.  Ada is a featured language of the text.

See also

Practical Visual Techniques in System Design with Applications to Ada
R.J.A. Buhr
Prentice Hall
ISBN 0-13-880808-2

System Design with Ada
R.J.A Buhr
Prentice Hall
ISBN 0-13-881623-9

Ada as a Second Language
Norm Cohen
McGraw-Hill
ISBN 0-07-011607-5

Ada Concurrent Programming
Narain Gehani
Silicon Press
ISBN 0-929306-08-2

Most Ada books explain Ada's tasking features, but Burns' and Wellings' has
the most in depth treatment.

The Ada 83 Rationale has a nice introduction to Ada's tasking features.  Of
course, the Ada 95 Rational explains the new real-time features, too.

<http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/standards/83rat/html/ratl-00.html>
<http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/standards/95rat/RAThtml/rat95-conten
ts.html>

Matthew Heaney