From: mheaney@ni.net (Matthew Heaney)
Subject: Re: Books for Ada83 & Ada95
Date: 1996/09/25
Date: 1996-09-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <32487b30.421145@news.loxinfo.co.th>, paulg@loxinfo.co.th wrote:

>I'm interesting in learning more about Ada. I have been programming
>the last 10 years, C, C++, Delphi, Oberon adn a bit Modula-3.
>
>I already downloaded the GNAT compiler for NT. Basically I would like
>to get a feel for Ada and see if my company can use it in any way.

Do you want to increase your productivity?  Do you want to write software
that is correct?  Then your company can use Ada!

That Ada will improve your productivity is fact, not mere claim.  If you
need some published justification about Ada's efficacy, then see

http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Ammo/Industry.html

>I'm looking for good introduction books on the language

Check out this list:

http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/FAQ/learning.html#books

I think that David Naiditch's book, Rendevous with Ada 95, is very easy.
John Barnes book, Programming in Ada 95, is also a good introduction.

If you want a heavy book (literally and figuratively), then Norm Cohen's
Ada as a Second Language is very, very good, but is probably better as the
second Ada book to read, and after you've been programming in Ada for a
while.

>Paul Sjoerdsma
>Straight Line Solutions Co. Ltd.

Matt