From: mheaney@ni.net (Matthew Heaney)
Subject: Re: Best Ada95 reference
Date: 1996/10/07
Date: 1996-10-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <VA.00000077.028a9ebe@arjhome>, janee@orchard.compulink.co.uk wrote:

>I am currently doing a Degree in Info Technology and learning to program
>in Ada is one of the modules.  As the 'set' text, we have been
>recommended 'Ada from the Beginning' by Jan Skansholm (Addison Wesley).
> It's good, from a beginners point of view anyway!  I have a copy of the
>second edition but I believe the third edition is due any moment now.
>Hope this helps.

This may seem like heresy, but one of the best books for learning Ada 95 is
... the Ada 83 Rationale.  I've been programming in Ada for several years
and only just recently read it, but I shouldn't have waited!

It provides a simple, readable overview of all the language features and
explains the reasons for the choices they made during the language design.
Best of all, it has tons of way cool examples!

I wish I had read it when I was learning Ada (though you never really
stop).  Doyens and novitiates: read the Ada 83 Rationale and you'll be glad
you did!

The Ada 83 Rationale is online (text only - no hypertext) at

<http://www.adahome.com/Resources/References.html>

For those of you who prefer hardcopy (as I do), get it from Silicon Press:

Silicon Press
25 Beverly Rd
Summit NJ 08901-1619
(908) 273-8919
<mailto:silicon@sp.com>

Rationale for the Design of the Ada Programming Language
ISBN 0-9615336-5-X
US$31.95

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant