* Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
@ 1996-10-27  0:00 Odo Wolbers
From: Odo Wolbers @ 1996-10-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi out there,

does anybody know about Ada-compilers for Macintosh, especially PowerMacintosh?

Thank you very much for helpful answers.

Ciao
Odo

* Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
@ 1996-11-01  0:00 ` Greg Bond
From: Greg Bond @ 1996-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Odo Wolbers

The free GNAT Ada compiler is available for the Macintosh, but you also
have to have Tenon's MachTen to use the compiler. MachTen is a Mac
application that runs BSD Unix. For details on MachTen, see

http://www.tenon.com

Tenon will be releasing a special (somewhat less expensive) version of
MachTen that will support all the GNU code development tools, including
GNAT. The release date is not known, but indications are that it should
be released near the end of the year.

--
* Greg Bond                         * Dept. of Electrical Eng.
* email: bond@ee.ubc.ca             * Univ. of British Columbia

* Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
@ 1996-11-01  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1996-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <199610271435.a199@k2.maus.de>, Odo_Wolbers@k2.maus.de (Odo
Wolbers) wrote:

>does anybody know about Ada-compilers for Macintosh, especially PowerMacintosh?

Tenon, ACT, and McKee Consulting have teamed together to port GNAT to the
Mac.  You will have to purchase MachTen (a UNIX port that runs as an app)
to use GNAT, but GNAT itself is free.  Note that Tenon will soon be
releasing a less expensive, special version of MachTen to do software
development only.

<http://www.tenon.com>
<http://www.gnat.com>

Intermetrics has also released a (beta) version of their AppletMagic
compiler, which translates Ada95 source into Jave byte-code.

<http://www.inmet.com/javadir/download/index.html>

I myself am using Meridian OpenAda, which I purchased from DC Heath.  It
targets only 68K, though.

For more infomation about Ada compilers, visit the Home of the Brave Ada
programmers.

<http://www.adahome.com>

I also suggest you let Symantec, Metrowerks, and Bare Bones Software of
your interest in Ada technology for the Mac.

<http://www.symantec.com>
<http://www.metrowerks.com>

matt

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
mheaney@ni.net
(818) 985-1271

* Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
@ 1996-11-04  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry says

"If Intermetrics was just on the edge and had decided to go
ahead with a Macintosh compiler there is no certainty they
would have achieved the degree of IDE smoothness Macintosh
afficianados have come to expect.  Even Metrowerks has not
been able to achieve the degree of integration displayed
by Think Pascal."

In fact there are many different constituencies here. So far the only
interested customers we have in the Mac port are interested precisely
BECAUSE it has a similar interface, and allows them to build System 7
compatible applications.

I quite realize that there are those who want something else. So far
our judgment is that there is an insufficiently large market to justify
trying to satisfy the "give-us-an-integrated-mac-like-ide" desire.

I think you could argue that the original intent of the academic contract
was to generate a much more smoothly integrated version (that is certainly
what Mike's bid on this contract had in mind), but anyway, given the
contract modification that occurred, that is water under the bridge in
any case.

Right now, I very much doubt you will see any major new ada devlopment
effort on the Mac, so the best bets are

(a) to use the Intermetrics Java system
(b) to develop shells around the Machten implementation that make it look
      more like what you want.

* Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
@ 1996-11-04  0:00 ` Bob Collins
From: Bob Collins @ 1996-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolbers) wrote:

> does anybody know about Ada-compilers for Macintosh, especially
> PowerMacintosh?

I'm really disappointed that Intermetrics decided not to
build a Macintosh Ada compiler. Most Macintosh users do
not consider an Ada compiler running in Unix on top of the
MacOS to be a "Macintosh" Ada compiler. If a Macintosh user
wanted Unix, why not buy a PC and install Linux?

There are so few quality products out there. Ada 95 is clearly
one of them. So is the Macintosh, for a large class of users.
Ada is dying before our eyes. It's a real shame that quality
doesn't attract other quality, but struggles in isolation.

* Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
@ 1996-11-04  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1996-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <collins-0411960921020001@ratbert.cs.wm.edu>, collins@cs.wm.edu (Bob Collins) writes:
> In article <199610271435.a199@k2.maus.de>, Odo_Wolbers@k2.maus.de (Odo
> Wolbers) wrote:
>
>> does anybody know about Ada-compilers for Macintosh, especially
>> PowerMacintosh?
>
> I'm really disappointed that Intermetrics decided not to
> build a Macintosh Ada compiler. Most Macintosh users do
> not consider an Ada compiler running in Unix on top of the
> MacOS to be a "Macintosh" Ada compiler. If a Macintosh user
> wanted Unix, why not buy a PC and install Linux?

If Intermetrics was just on the edge and had decided to go
ahead with a Macintosh compiler there is no certainty they
would have achieved the degree of IDE smoothness Macintosh
afficianados have come to expect.  Even Metrowerks has not
been able to achieve the degree of integration displayed
by Think Pascal.

I think it better to concentrate on what you want rather
than who you want it from, lest your favorite vendor give
you something substandard.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
@ 1996-11-06  0:00   ` Greg Bond
From: Greg Bond @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Collins wrote:

> In article <199610271435.a199@k2.maus.de>, Odo_Wolbers@k2.maus.de (Odo
> Wolbers) wrote:
>
> > does anybody know about Ada-compilers for Macintosh, especially
> > PowerMacintosh?
>
> I'm really disappointed that Intermetrics decided not to
> build a Macintosh Ada compiler. Most Macintosh users do
> not consider an Ada compiler running in Unix on top of the
> MacOS to be a "Macintosh" Ada compiler. If a Macintosh user
> wanted Unix, why not buy a PC and install Linux?

<snip>

Because a PC running Linux couldn't run Mac applications side-by-side
with Unix. Tenon's Unix for the Mac runs as a Mac application, so you
can run other Mac apps at the same time as you are, say, devloping GNAT
apps (with BBEdit or Alpha as your text editor if you wish).
Furthermore,since Tenon's Unix permits the development of hybrid
Unix/MacOS apps,  I fully expect to see more Mac-like front-ends being
developed for the Unix development tools (not that anything's likely to
supercede emacs...).

--
* Greg Bond                         * Dept. of Electrical Eng.
* email: bond@ee.ubc.ca             * Univ. of British Columbia
* voice: (604) 822 0899             * 2356 Main Mall
* fax:   (604) 822 5949             * Vancouver, BC
* web: http://www.ee.ubc.ca/~bond   * Canada, V6T 1Z4

* Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-11-07  0:00   ` Dr. John B. Matthews
From: Dr. John B. Matthews @ 1996-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <collins-0411960921020001@ratbert.cs.wm.edu>, collins@cs.wm.edu (Bob Collins) writes:
> I'm really disappointed that Intermetrics decided not to
> build a Macintosh Ada compiler.

Me too! But Applet Magic shows promise. And an MPW tool or
Metrowerks drop-in is not forbidden.

> Most Macintosh users do
> not consider an Ada compiler running in Unix on top of the
> MacOS to be a "Macintosh" Ada compiler. If a Macintosh user
> wanted Unix, why not buy a PC and install Linux?

'Cause then you lose MacOS, something dear to "most Macintosh
users." MachTen is a very well bahaved Mac application, with a
command line interface that complements the desktop experience. Like
MPW, the code you build with the MachTen tools is every bit a
stand-alone Mac application.

John
Dr. John B. Matthews
jmatthews@nova.wright.edu; john_matthews@ccmail.dayton.saic.com
"Whom the gods would destroy, they first invite to program in C"

* Re: Ada-compiler for Macintosh?
@ 1996-11-07  0:00   ` G SINGH POONIA
From: G SINGH POONIA @ 1996-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Collins

I entirely agree, can I also add that Ada is a load of B*******

==                    FROM Paul                              ==
==       HAVE A NICE DAY, FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY ABUSE.       ==
==            IF YOUR NAMES ALI THEN DONT BOTHER             ==