* zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-18  6:48 jan.de.kruyf
From: jan.de.kruyf @ 2015-03-18  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,

Back from being busy.

I brought up the zfp for STM32F4 yesterday, and it struck me that I am learning a few things that might be useful for who ever else likes to play with this stuff.

So where should it go? In a post here on the list or on Luke Guests "Bare Bones" page? Or any other place?

Or will there be wiki on the The Lady Ada's Social Club (LASS-C) website?
(By the way it seems that there are a few websites around that are basically starving because they only peddle static info, that is then mostly out of date, but very little hands on stuff.)

What are the suggestions.

Cheers,

j.

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-18 12:40 ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2015-03-18 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-03-18, jan.de.kruyf@gmail.com <jan.de.kruyf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> Back from being busy.
>
> I brought up the zfp for STM32F4 yesterday, and it struck me that I am learning a few things that might be useful for who ever else likes to play with this stuff.
>
> So where should it go? In a post here on the list or on Luke Guests "Bare
> Bones" page? Or any other place?

I would post it here in comp.lang.ada first. That way, if people don't
understand something, you can be asked for clarification and provide an
updated version.

BTW, what you call a list is actually a Usenet newsgroup. The Google
Groups interface you are using is only one of the ways to access
comp.lang.ada.

Your postings will be circulated way outside of Google and specific ones
archived locally by anyone who finds them to be of interest and is using
a decent newsreader; such archiving of posts is built into any decent
newsreader.

Simon.

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-18 22:33 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-18 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Or will there be wiki on the The Lady Ada's Social Club (LASS-C) website?

Whatever the group name (if we even make it) comp.lang.ada and #Ada will be _the_ place to post :) In fact a big part of making the "social club" is to promote using comp.lang.ada and #Ada (in addition to existing Sigs) not another web site. Although a website will exist to pointer people back here :)

Comp.Lang.Ada has always been the home for the Ada community (even with some trying to "kill it off" on occasion.) I'm a fan of clarity and the group just formalizes what we already have and has worked well.

David Botton

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-19  0:52   ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2015-03-19  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:33:47 -0700 (PDT), David Botton <david@botton.com>
declaimed the following:

>> Or will there be wiki on the The Lady Ada's Social Club (LASS-C) website?
>
>Whatever the group name (if we even make it) comp.lang.ada and #Ada will be _the_ place to post :) In fact a big part of making the "social club" is to promote using comp.lang.ada and #Ada (in addition to existing Sigs) not another web site. Although a website will exist to pointer people back here :)
>
>Comp.Lang.Ada has always been the home for the Ada community (even with some trying to "kill it off" on occasion.) I'm a fan of clarity and the group just formalizes what we already have and has worked well.
>
>David Botton

	And, if it means anything -- I do not have an interest in another
web-based forum inflicting per page load delays, a web-based editor, etc.
on me. Especially on those days (soon to arrive -- seems to be weather
sensitive*) when my DSL struggles to get 512kbps, and often has a downlink
/slower/ than the 384kbps uplink.

* in cold weather -- <20degF, I can get my DSL "modem" to lock up at over
1.3Mbps [1.5Mbps rated service, 3Mbps not available IN A MAJOR CITY!] We've
been around 40degF and my service is holding at 992kbps.

	Usenet I can let download in the background while doing other things
with the on-demand browser. Hmmm... With the Critter NNTPd dead, I could
even go back to queuing my replies (due to a peering split, AFF and ALF
caused problems with queued replies being posted to one side of the split
and not propagated to the other -- unqueued/direct replies would go to the
server the parent message came from)

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-19  8:17     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2015-03-19  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19/03/15 01:52, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> I do not have an interest in another
> web-based forum inflicting per page load

After many computer users have learned how to handle email
carefully (as there may be a virus attached to it), they readily
accept every piece of program attached to a web page… .-/

Is there any kind of program analysis that allows saying
something like: "There is no way that a translated addition
to this program can manipulate such-and-such."?
SML has a property like that, IIRC: the run-time cannot be
"infected" with just ML code.

(If there is anyone monetizing the WWW who would like that
kind of customer side security, that is.)

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-19 13:12     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-19 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 	And, if it means anything -- I do not have an interest in another
> web-based forum inflicting....

As I said the entire goal of the group is to promote comp.lang.ada and #Ada and existing Sigs (SigAda / Ada Europe) not some new forum or mail list.

David Botton

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-19 21:29 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2015-03-19 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

<jan.de.kruyf@gmail.com> wrote:

> I brought up the zfp for STM32F4 yesterday, and it struck me that I am
> learning a few things that might be useful for who ever else likes to play with this stuff.
>
> So where should it go? In a post here on the list or on Luke Guests "Bare
> Bones" page? Or any other place?

Well that went off topic FAST!

I posted an explanation of what packages are required for a ZFP RTS on
adafoemicrocontrollers.com which lists those in my tamp/RTS dir.

I'd start there.

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-19 22:14   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-03-19 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luke A. Guest <laguest@archeia.com> writes:

> adafoemicrocontrollers.com

adaformicrocontrollers.com

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-20  7:32   ` jan.de.kruyf
From: jan.de.kruyf @ 2015-03-20  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 11:29:43 PM UTC+2, Luke A. Guest wrote:

> I posted an explanation of what packages are required for a ZFP RTS on
> adafoemicrocontrollers.com which lists those in my tamp/RTS dir.
>
> I'd start there.

Ah, ja I forgot about that place. And thereby hangs another tale . . . .
(I did see it before, and thought Oh yes, good idea. But I almost never got there by Googling. So in other words, it is not as visible)

So I would say stuff needs to be cross posted here also.

Is there a chance that you attach blogging software to that bulletinboard? It will become so much more digestable when stuff is in the form of an article, like the ada-barebones stuff. With questions and answers at the end.

Hope I yanked the thread back on topic now.

Cheers,

j.

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-20 13:42     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2015-03-20 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> adaformicrocontrollers.com

I added that as a link under install Ada on GetAdaNow.com

David Botton

* Re: zero footprint runtime
@ 2015-03-20 20:04       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2015-03-20 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Botton" <david@botton.com> wrote in message

>> adaformicrocontrollers.com
>
> I added that as a link under install Ada on GetAdaNow.com

I've put it on the list for the next time I update AdaIC.

Probably one reason it isn't very visible is that it never was "announced"
here or submitted for inclusion on AdaIC and similar sites. So it doesn't
appear in the usual places to look for Ada information.

Moral to everyone with an Ada-related website - make sure that AdaIC (send
to news@adaic.com), David Botton, and the other webmasters of Ada sites know
about your site. We'll make sure it gets into our lists, which not only
drives traffic, but also makes Ada look more active.

                                     Randy.