From: anders@localhost.localdomain (Anders Gidenstam)
Subject: Re: no crash dump ?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:08:54 +0100
Date: 2002-03-07T22:09:13+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <20020307215639.37cf3f6d.bjorn.lundin@swipnet.se>,
	Bj�rn Lundin <bjorn.lundin@swipnet.se> writes:
> Hi!
> I'm trying to get access to the joystick port with this program
> (using linux mandrake 8.1 and gnat 3.13)
> I don't get access (running as root) AND I don't get a crash dump either?
> Does anyone know why?

Hi!

Well, doesn't Linux use a page-based VM system? I'd suspect that your
address clause only places your data at a certain address in the
(virtual) address space of your process, ie the address has no
correlation whatsoever with any "real" memory address. Besides doesn't
x86 use special instructions for IO and not plain memory mapped
registers?

If you program is intended as user-level, then use the proper device
file to access it instead. (I don't know which one that is, though.)

Linux is a real OS, not some kind of DOS where you can poke at any
memory address you like.. ;)

/Anders
"A well-written program is its own heaven;
 a poorly-written program is its own hell."
  - The Tao of Programming