* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 14:59 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-08-22 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.998434769.19473.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>, Gautier
Write-only-address says...
>These times I'm toying with AdaGIDE sources.
>I have added the following feature:
>
>  AdaGIDE remembers the line & column position of cursor
>  after closing a window, for the next reopening.
>
>In current release, windows always open in the (1,1) position.
>When you have work sessions around line 537 of source A and
>1203 of source B etc., I find more comfortable that an IDE
>remembers positions.

Then again, that acts as a good negative reinforcement against making source
files overly large. Since AdaGIDE is mostly for beginners, that could be viewed
as a good thing. :-)

Perhaps it should remember *what* files were open when it was closed, and reopen
them though. I've noticed other IDE's (Tornado at least) do that.

---

* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 15:42   ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-22 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
>Perhaps it should remember *what* files were open when it was closed, and
reopen
> them though. I've noticed other IDE's (Tornado at least) do that.

Personally, I always found such behaviour irritating. Don't make this the
default!

Ehud

* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 16:14   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-08-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9m0jth$d6f$1@news.huji.ac.il>, Ehud Lamm says...

>What I had in mind is some radio button like box, which would simply
>generate the GNAT command line options, which you currently specify in the
>options dialog.

The GreenHills IDE does that. As an occasional user of that IDE, I'd suggest you
also try to place some kind of help information about those options (tooltip
help perhaps?) in that dialog. A big mess of checkboxes can be quite daunting,
particularly when you don't know what they all do. Its tempting to just click
them all, in hopes that will optimize best. :-)

Note also that when you add in all the gcc and ld options (-cargs , -largs), the
complete list of options would make for a *huge* dialog (even if you try tabbing
it).

---

* RE: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 16:16 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-08-22 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

I agree with Ted on this one.  I would rather have it default
to reopen the previous files, because it's easier to close
files than remember which ones were open.  Aonix ObjectAda
remembers the files by project.  I have come to rely on this
to help me remember where I was and what I was doing.

Frank

@ 2001-08-22 16:20     ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-08-22 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In article <9m0jth$d6f$1@news.huji.ac.il>, Ehud Lamm says...
> >
> >What I had in mind is some radio button like box, which would simply
> >generate the GNAT command line options, which you currently specify in
the
> >options dialog.
>
> The GreenHills IDE does that. As an occasional user of that IDE, I'd
suggest you
> also try to place some kind of help information about those options
(tooltip
> help perhaps?) in that dialog. A big mess of checkboxes can be quite
daunting,
> particularly when you don't know what they all do. Its tempting to just
click
> them all, in hopes that will optimize best. :-)
>
> Note also that when you add in all the gcc and ld options (-cargs
, -largs), the
> complete list of options would make for a *huge* dialog (even if you try
tabbing
> it).

Remember that I am just talking about choosing installed libraries, and
adding the -l<lib name> switches. I didn't suggest, nor would I like a box
for choosing all options.
One thing that may be nice is choosing Debug and getting the -g switch. [But
this shoudln't be a part of the library choosing dialog, of course]

Ehud

* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 16:41       ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-08-22 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On one project I worked on, we created a big record we labeled "User
Defaults" with an appropriate update subsystem. Whenever we ran into
something that had some reasonable amount of variance in opinion from the
user community as to what the behavior of something should be, we dumped a
new field in User_Defaults and let them pick what they wanted. You should be
able to put similar stuff into the Registry under the user's ID and recall
it at program startup. It gets you out of the business of trying to convince
everyone that doesn't like what you picked that it was really better or more
people wanted it that way. :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

"Ehud Lamm" <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote in message

> Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote in message
> > In article <9m0jth$d6f$1@news.huji.ac.il>, Ehud Lamm says...
> > >
> > >What I had in mind is some radio button like box, which would simply
> > >generate the GNAT command line options, which you currently specify in
> the
> > >options dialog.
> >
> > The GreenHills IDE does that. As an occasional user of that IDE, I'd
> suggest you
> > also try to place some kind of help information about those options
> (tooltip
> > help perhaps?) in that dialog. A big mess of checkboxes can be quite
> daunting,
> > particularly when you don't know what they all do. Its tempting to just
> click
> > them all, in hopes that will optimize best. :-)
> >
> > Note also that when you add in all the gcc and ld options (-cargs
> , -largs), the
> > complete list of options would make for a *huge* dialog (even if you try
> tabbing
> > it).
> >

> Remember that I am just talking about choosing installed libraries, and
> adding the -l<lib name> switches. I didn't suggest, nor would I like a box
> for choosing all options.
> One thing that may be nice is choosing Debug and getting the -g switch.
[But
> this shoudln't be a part of the library choosing dialog, of course]
>
> Ehud

* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 18:55 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-08-22 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> >Perhaps it should remember *what* files were open when it was closed, and
>reopen
> > them though. I've noticed other IDE's (Tornado at least) do that.

>Personally, I always found such behaviour irritating. Don't make this the
>default!

I also find it very annoying (using sometimes Winedt).
After all the most-recent-used menu is there for that purpose.

Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

NB: Do not answer to sender address, visit the Web site!
    Ne r�pondez pas � l'exp�diteur, visitez le site ouaibe!

* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 19:11 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-08-22 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Ehud:

>One thing that may be nice is choosing Debug and getting the -g
>switch. [But this shoudln't be a part of the library choosing > dialog, of
>course]

The "-g" is already in current 6.42 version (previously it was
either -O2 or -g, which is not appropriated).

G.

* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-22 19:13 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-08-22 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Ehud:

>Personally, I always found such behaviour irritating. Don't make this
>the default!

2nd reply: I add it in the wish list, of course as non-default,
user-sensitive option.

G.

* Re: Informal
@ 2001-08-23 12:30     ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2001-08-23 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> Note also that when you add in all the gcc and ld options (-cargs , -largs), the
> complete list of options would make for a *huge* dialog (even if you try tabbing
> it).

Didn't stop them from doing it in Visual C++.  The Settings dialog is
tabbed, with more tabs than can be seen all at once, so you have to
traverse back and forth to see them all.  Then some tabs have a
"Category" drop-down menu whose selections change the contents of that
tab pane.  Finding the right setting to set or adjust can be a royal
pain.

Marc A. Criley
Senior Staff Engineer
Quadrus Corporation