From: "Beard, Frank" <beardf@spawar.navy.mil>
To: "'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'" <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: RE: run external .exe files within an ada program..
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:16:15 -0400
Date: 2001-07-10T18:16:15-04:00	[thread overview]

Henrik,

Someone might have answered this already, but one of
the simplest ways is to use Winexec.  As in:

   status :=
      Win32.Winbase.WinExec(lpCmdLine => To_Lpcstr("C:\MyDir\My.exe"),
                            uCmdShow  => Win32.Winuser.SW_HIDE);

This is superceded by the more complicated CreateProcess API, but
it will probably never go away, at least not for a long time.

John English also sent an example of another API which works as well.

  Win32.WinDef.HINSTANCE hInst :=
    Win32.ShellAPI.ShellExecute(
      System.Null_Address,                      -- no parent window
      To_LPCSTR("open" & ASCII.NUL),            -- command
      To_LPCSTR("c:\MyDir\My.exe" & ASCII.NUL), -- file to open
      System.Null_Address,                      -- no parameters
      System.Null_Address,                      -- no default directory
      Win32.WinUser.SW_SHOWNORMAL               -- show window normally
    );

Hope this helps.

Frank